How do I keep certain songs off my iPod?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2010 13", iPod Touch 4th gen., AirPort Extreme, Mini G4, iPod 30GB w/video
I have certain songs in iTunes that I don't want to delete, yet I don't want them on my iPod. I thought you simply had to remove the checkmark next to a song ("deselect" it) in iTunes in order to prevent it from being copied onto an iPod, but this isn't working - the deselected songs still copy to the iPod. How do I prevent this from happening?

B

benggg

you have to go into iTunes/iPod settings and check "Only update checked songs"

good luck!

OP
iWish
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2010 13", iPod Touch 4th gen., AirPort Extreme, Mini G4, iPod 30GB w/video
Okay, I guess that only works when you choose to automatically update songs and/or playlists. Although I already had "Only update checked songs" selected, it is grayed-out in manual mode which must mean it only works in automatic mode. I guess I'll have to choose one of the automatic modes and hope that Apple adds a third automatic update option called "Automatically update all songs and selected playlists". Thanks for your tip, anyhow!

J

JimmyHat

You can use smart playlists to compile a group of songs that only includes ones you want to hear on your iPod. I use several linked smart playlists to control what goes on my iPod, and how long until I hear the song again all based on the song's rating.

For an easy way to eliminate songs from your iPod manually, create a manual playlist called "Exclusions" that contains every song you don't want on your iPod. Then, create a smart playlist with the rule "Playlist is not exclusions" and have your iPod linked to only that playlist.

For other playlist tricks, google for "iTunes playlist tricks" or something similar. There is a lot of very powerful stuff that you can do using live-updating, linked smart playlists.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
I believe the easiest way is to plug in the iPod, when it mounts open iTunes and click the iPod icon on the bottom right of the window. This brings up the iPod's preferences in iTunes. Uncheck "Automatically update playlists" and check "Manually".

Now, you'll see your iPod in the left hand viewer window and iTunes treats it just like a playlist, drag/drop at will.

OP
iWish
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
surfwax95 said:
I believe the easiest way is to plug in the iPod, when it mounts open iTunes and click the iPod icon on the bottom right of the window. This brings up the iPod's preferences in iTunes. Uncheck "Automatically update playlists" and check "Manually".

Now, you'll see your iPod in the left hand viewer window and iTunes treats it just like a playlist, drag/drop at will.
This is precisely what I did when I encountered the problem mentioned in my first post. Unfortunately, unchecking a song in iTunes means it still transfers to the iPod even in manual mode for reasons I can't understand. Thanks for the suggestion, anyhow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 1.8GHz 1GB RAM, 60GB iPod Video, 30GB iPod video on loan to the better half :-)
Create a playlist, drag everything you want on the pod into that and select the "Update Selected playlists" option?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.