• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Apple Aquisitions?

Reaction score
I rarely hear Apple involved in any large scale purchases of companies.
That is probably because they prefer to create everything inhouse.
But i want to list a few possible companies that if apple were to buy, would reatly help it out.

Adobe/Macromedia
Apple would be able to afford it (through debt) to purchase this company. It will get control over a wealth of assets. Photoshop, Macromedia Studio, etc. And a bunch of standards, PDF, Flash, Shockwave.
With Bill Gates stepping down from Microsoft, Apple will lose its biggest advocate in the company. Bill Gates is by far the biggest Mac fan, he was the proponent in starting the Mac Business Unit. The only reason MSFT will not stop support for the Mac now is because they are making a lot of $. But like they stopped IE (because of Safari) and they stopped OE (because of Mail). With iWork being #2 in the Office Suite market share (thats including Windows and Mac) and Apple obvioulsy going to be adding more functiantlity to it, Microsoft might eventually stop support for the Mac. But it will be different, because their file formats are closed, and support for it will be more difficult (.docx, XPS, etc) So if apple has some leverage over Microsoft, it might be wise.

Sun Microsystems
Sun tried to buy Apple a few times. But now that their fortunes were reversed, i think it would be wise for Apple to buy Sun. First off they have the same business model, give away the software to sell the hardware. But Apple could use Sun for a lot of things. They can take Solaris technology, and add it to Mac OS X (like ZFS), and they can slowly kill Darwin, and make Soloris the Open Source Mac OS X, but stripped down. It will be OS X testing arena. They can also greatly expand their server lineup. They will have Intel/AMD and have control over SPARC chips.
Last and most important, there is Java. By far the most important thing Sun has to offer. Java is already a big piece of Mac OS X, imagine Apple controlling it. They will completly overhaul it (better design) and find a way to monetize it. Maybe even build a client for the iPod.

Avid Technology
Very easy purchase, it will largley expand Apple's media creation software.

---
With Avid/Adobe, Apple will have THE creative platform, that no one can rival.
---

With these 3 purchases Apple will gain a great wealth of assets, people, communities, help. And most importantly standards like PDF, Flash, Shockwave, Java. Makeing it a superpower in the computer industry, not just a darling. It will solidify its survival. Even if they stopped making iPods tomorrow, they will be fine, if they owned these companies.

VLC & RealMedia
If they can get VLC to help make Quicktime better, and if they buy Real just for their codecs (which, beleive it or not, are used ALOT) and intergrate it into Quicktime, they will own Media Players for pros (even more so), and Quicktime is built into iTunes, so they will have the best media player (also, even more so). They will

Other Companies
Palm
RIM
Tivo

These seem more unlikley, but you never know. Palm and RIM are expected to merge. So if Apple can grab them up. They will quicky be the leader in the smartphone industry. And quickly rebrand them as iPods.

Apple's goal is to create an ecosystem, not a platform. Hardware, Software, Mobile, Cell Service, etc.

---

Apple should also think about expanding .Mac furthur. It can be the killer app for getting a Mac.
First off for $99 a year, i think Apple can give everyone their own Domain Name, not hompage.mac.com/whatever.
First off, they should add a Microsoft OneCare like service. Complete securty and maintenance (backup, disk defrag, etc) so you dont have to need any other utility software.
Another thing they despreatly need is with iSync, to sync all their PIM apps (mail, ical, ichat, addressbook, stickies, etc) across Macs, Mobile, and Web. And the .Mac PIM viewer should be overhauled with Ajax. And being a premium service, no ADS!
More so, they should look into buying Bubbleshare or somthing to make an online iLife viewer. So you can view all your Photos, listen to all your music, watch all your videos, etc all streamed from your computer and allow for posting on differnt websites (flickr, youtube, etc). more so, they should make mac.com to be a social network. for people to share all their media, blogs, podcasts, iTunes interests, etc.
.Mac is a bigger asset than Apple thinks.

---

Lastly, Oracle. Larry Ellison is on the board of directors of Apple. Now why is their no support for 10g Database, or their business applications, etc. I think if Jobs and Ellison can strike a deal with them for their software and middleware, that will be HUGE for Apple's server sales.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I will say that more then 75% of your ideas are good if they can be tweaked a little bit, the problem here though is, that Apple is not interested in going big. They are interested in controlling the part of the market they control now, even though they are a business and are in it for the money, taking over that many companies would risk so much. Even if they did it slowly. It would put allot of pressure on Jobs and the other managers of the business. I think though that this thread could be a good discussion and I would like to hear other peoples views as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Have you read anything about or by Steve Jobs in the last 20 years? If so, you would not have asked that question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2
haimson said:
With iWork being #2 in the Office Suite market share

Erm. StarOffice/OpenOffice?

Sun Microsystems
First off they have the same business model, give away the software to sell the hardware.

Excuse me? Apple's giving away software? (other than iTunes and QT)

VLC & RealMedia
If they can get VLC to help make Quicktime better, and if they buy Real just for their codecs and intergrate it into Quicktime,

...and create the worst media player ever? You may not realize it, but on the Windows platform, Quicktime and Realplayer are horrible, on the same level as Comet Cursor and Bonzi Buddy.

they will own Media Players for pros (even more so), and Quicktime is built into iTunes, so they will have the best media player

There's realalternative (google it), and both QT and Real codecs can be integrated into Windows MediaPlayer 6.4 for free.

Palm and RIM are expected to merge.

By whom? The rumored merger date has come and gone, and the RIM chairman Balsillie threw a bucket of cold water on all the Palm/RIM coming- together talk. "Our view is there is diversity in handhelds," Balsillie said in response to questions about the merger buzz. "We don't have grand ambitions to consolidate the handheld business any more than we have ambitions to exit the handheld business.''

Another thing they despreatly need is with iSync, to sync all their PIM apps (mail, ical, ichat, addressbook, stickies, etc) across Macs, Mobile, and Web.

That's annoying the fark outta me. Make mail, calendar, address book, stickies one app (like Entourage) or not, but offer a dang solution to sync either all of them, or Entourage to PocketPCs. Or come out with an iPad already. Something. Anything.

So you can view all your Photos, listen to all your music, watch all your videos, etc all streamed from your computer and allow for posting on differnt websites (flickr, youtube, etc). more so, they should make mac.com to be a social network. for people to share all their media, blogs, podcasts, iTunes interests, etc.

As long as they /keep/ all that ... stuff away my computer. Blogs, flickr, myspace...it's like 1996 all over again, when everybody had a geocities page full of blinking, singing, dancing doodads.
And by away I mean, I wouldn't be mad if all the "publish to .mac" menus would only appear within the various apps if I actually had a .mac membership. Which I don't. For $99/yr, I can have 4 Web sites, including storage and proper domain names. Which I do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
haimson said:
But like they stopped IE (because of Safari) and they stopped OE (because of Mail). With iWork being #2 in the Office Suite market share (thats including Windows and Mac) and Apple obvioulsy going to be adding more functiantlity to it, Microsoft might eventually stop support for the Mac. But it will be different, because their file formats are closed, and support for it will be more difficult (.docx, XPS, etc)

Just a few points on this part of your post:

- IE and OE were free, Office makes MS alot of money. Even if, and that's a big IF, iWork matured to a point to truly rival Office, as long as MS is making money on Office, they will continue. There was no point to continue developing IE and OE since they were free. Office will be around, because businesses and schools will always choose Office over iWork just for the sake of compatibility.

- The Office file types are mostly open and becoming more so all the time. MS has a vested interest in making them a standard and to do so it requires the specs to be open. So iWork becoming a true competitor has less to do with file format compatibility and more to do with iWork, especially Pages, just being a stop-gap, poorly constructed replacement for Apple Works. If Apple truly wanted an Office killer they would do a better job than they have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Kar98 said:
Erm. StarOffice/OpenOffice?

iWork is the second most popular office suite on the Mac platform. OpenOffice is mainly relegated to the realm of geeks and techies. I guarantee it will never become popular enough on the Mac mainly because it doesn't run natively.

While NeoOffice or whatever it's called is an OS X port, I also suggest it won't be very popular either considering it's ugly as sin (same applies for OpenOffice) and Mac users tend not to like ugly software and it has such a loooooong time between development cycles.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2
schweb said:
iWork is the second most popular office suite on the Mac platform.

Right; but I meant overall though, not just Mac, but also Windows and Linux.

And the less is spoken about NeoOffice, the better.

OP
H
Reaction score
Actually, i have read (i will search for the article) that iWork is the 2nd biggest Office Suite, by market share, in Windows, Mac, and others.
Windows/Mac take up 99% of the market share of PCs.
First is Microsoft Office
Sencond is iWork
then ist Corel Office and Star/Open Office

I remember this because i was suprised that iWork, a mac only office suite, is 2nd overall.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.