force finder default view to list mode

Reaction score
hi

aside from my pictures folder i want all windows to default to list view but i can't seem to figure it out, any ideas? - 10.4.7, both ppc and intel

thanks

M

menace3054

sentofuno said:
hi

aside from my pictures folder i want all windows to default to list view but i can't seem to figure it out, any ideas? - 10.4.7, both ppc and intel

thanks

when on the finder, go to finder, preferences --> general, and then open new windows in column view

OP
S
Reaction score
thanks for replying

i thought column view was the one with several columns for progressive subfolders? maybe i'm calling it the wrong thing but i was looking for the view where you have different columns for filename, type, last modified, size etc.

i tried your suggestion just in case but it doesn't seem to change anything, folders either open as i set them, or folders i have never been to before open in icon view. is there anything else i need to do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
sentofuno said:
thanks for replying

i thought column view was the one with several columns for progressive subfolders? maybe i'm calling it the wrong thing but i was looking for the view where you have different columns for filename, type, last modified, size etc.
No, you are correct. List view and Column view are two very different things.
There is no way for you to set a global default to have Finder windows open in List view.
You will have to set each folder that you want to open in List View individually. You can do this by opening the folder in question, then setting the view by going to Finder>View>as List.
This will set the preference for that folder and will always open as a list view.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200RPM HD
D3v1L80Y said:
No, you are correct. List view and Column view are two very different things.
There is no way for you to set a global default to have Finder windows open in List view.
You will have to set each folder that you want to open in List View individually. You can do this by opening the folder in question, then setting the view by going to Finder>View>as List.
This will set the preference for that folder and will always open as a list view.

I'm on my work PC right now so I cannot verify, but I thought there was a button at the top of the Finder options that states "Apply to All Windows" or "Apply to this Window".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Erudite.Warrior said:
I'm on my work PC right now so I cannot verify, but I thought there was a button at the top of the Finder options that states "Apply to All Windows" or "Apply to this Window".
There is, but that will still not allow all Finder windows to open in List view.

Reaction score
I have looked around a bit for the same thing. I have a Mac server with 10 or more regular users connecting to it. I prefer List View, and so do most of the users. When a new folder is made on the server, Icon View is default. The user can change it to List, but only for that session, I have to go log in to to the server and change it in the server's Finder for it to stick. I think that 10.5 fixes it though. I won't really know until next year when I upgrade my server and workstations to 10.5... hurry up and wait :Smirk:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.