MacBook Randomly Shuts Down?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
I even put the factory RAM back in but its still happening. I'm going to have to bring it back to the apple store so they can ship it out for me.

OP
V

Vaughan Smith

macbook random shutdown scandal

it is disgraceful that apple have not been replacing these faulty macbooks. i for one have been waiting 10 days now and have fallen badly behind in my work and lost revenue.

it is really hard to get accurate information on repair progress. i have been buying macs since my first se in the 80's. bought hundreds. this was my last. totally fed up. i would be out of business if i treated my customers like this.

i advise anybody with this problem to demand a new one and don't accept the appauling service that i have had.

OP
B

bucfan56

Now I just signed up here because ive been having the exact same problem. I personally am convinced that it has something to do with the tempature of the Mac, considering mine often times gets too hot to even touch on the bottom just above the battery near the power chord.

OP
T

tony@c

bucfan56 said:
Now I just signed up here because ive been having the exact same problem. I personally am convinced that it has something to do with the tempature of the Mac, considering mine often times gets too hot to even touch on the bottom just above the battery near the power chord.

Yes I too have just signed up because of this issue in order to provide a little feedback for other people having similar problems.

I bought my daughter a macbook in April for University ,which she starts on Saturday for six years, but only last week the macbook started randomly shutting down.Up untill then I has been well worth the money ,the best computer I have used to be honest.

Did a google search and found loads of pages with this problem so called Apple last night ,who were very good.They told me to do an OS update to the latest version 10.4.7 (I think) and to download the latest SMC firmware and to remove the ram sticks (I have two 512s installed) and swap each of them from one bay to the other.

The Apple guy said that if this doesn't work then they will call the macbook back for 'service'.

Haven't swaped the ram over yet but with the two software updates it does seem to be stable ,for the moment.

The Apple guy also told me that Apple will ship the macbook to my daughter's university (she will be away from home for eight weeks at a time) rather than send it back to me which I thought was pretty good service.

Will update if anything else goes wrong.

Cheers.

OP
S

sursuciofla

Glad Apple has treated you well. I have never had a problem with customer service. Only prob I have had with a product is my iPod usb cord had a short in it. Got replacement like two days later. Hope the MacBook has a healthy life.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 1.8GHz, 3GB RAM; Macbook Air
I too am having the same problem.

Tonight I was going to go over to my local Apple store, and I use the term 'local' loosely, but I am not prepared to have them send it away for three weeks, and then get it back with a brand new motherboard and logic board, but my hard drive gone and still having it shut down every 20 minutes.

I have the AppleCare thing, which cost me like $400. If I go over there, will they give me a whole new computer right there?

I have Boot Camp installed. Does that matter?

I've read that if you wrap a piece of electrical tape around the wire under the heatsink, that fixes the problem, but it will void the warranty.

I hear some people saying the problem is the logic board (or the motherboard), which I don't think it is. This is because, at least in my experience, no matter what problem you're having, if the Apple tech can't fix it over the phone, they always tell you it's the logic board. Am I right?

What should I do???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This morning, I took the battery out, and just used the AC adapter, and I've been using it all day, and it hasn't had any problems at all. Maybe that could have been the problem?

But I'm here at the Apple store waiting in line for the Genius Bar. We'll see what they say...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well they said the heatsink was the problem, and the battery thing was probably just coincidence. Anyway, they said they're going to send it out to replace the heatsink, and I should have it back in about 5 days. Of course, that probably means 5 business days, so Sunday and Monday won't count. So the way I figure it, I should have it back sometime in 2009.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well yesterday at 5:30 I got a call saying the computer was ready for pickup. Well I just picked it up, and I'm on it at home, and haven't had any problems with it yet, so I guess it's fixed.

Reaction score
so my macbook has started to shutdown randomly about 2 weeks after i recieved the email saying that my 90 day standard applecare has dried up. Can i still bring it in? Oh and i know this is kind of a longshot but if they do take my MB in to service do they have a loaner program? I go to sfsu and midterms start in about a week and im going to need some kind of computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you don't have an active AppleCare plan, you can take it in, but the repair will cost you. No, they don't have a loaner program.

Like I said, they said my repair would take 5-7 days, and I got it back the next day.

But if I were you, I'd wait until after midterms, and in the mean time, save my work often.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Jux06 said:
so my macbook has started to shutdown randomly about 2 weeks after i recieved the email saying that my 90 day standard applecare has dried up. Can i still bring it in? Oh and i know this is kind of a longshot but if they do take my MB in to service do they have a loaner program? I go to sfsu and midterms start in about a week and im going to need some kind of computer.

You might check this out:

http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=35441

http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=35445

sounds like a recall might be in the works-- but if they give you any grief on a fix/replacement, you can point to this hardware flaw as a likely culprit, but it sounds like they should have already heard about the issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
Im having the same problem with mine now, while im powerd by the ac adapter, im fine, but when i disconnect and go on battery, if i tap it, it shuts down, or just move it too fast it shuts down and restarts. I disabled the motion sensor too and still does it.

HMMM

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.