Memory Installation Order

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
When I got my new Power Mac G5, I got an extra 2G of memory along with it as a separate purchase to install myself. Reading the manual, I see that it says to install any new memory AFTER the existing set of 2 * 256 my Mac came with.

For whatever reason, when I installed my memory, I took the original 2 * 256 out, installed my 2 * 1G in the slots the original memory was in, and then put the original memory in the next slots. I thought that the machine might perform better if the first 1GB or so was all on the same chip set.

Now I am wondering, is there a reason for Apple's injunction to put any new memory after the original 2 * 256, not instead of it? Is that first set of memory slots special in any way? How about the memory itself? I am assuming it is the same speed and width as any other compatible memory for this machine. Am I wrong?

By the way, my Mac happily shows that it has 2.5 GB of memory, so all my memory is being recognized. I am just always hunting for new ways to make it ever faster!

Reaction score
Try doing a benchmark test with XBench and then do the same with the memory swapped around. I shouldn't think that you will find much of a difference so long as the new memory that you purchased was a good make but you never know.

Reaction score
mac57 said:
When I got my new Power Mac G5, I got an extra 2G of memory along with it as a separate purchase to install myself. Reading the manual, I see that it says to install any new memory AFTER the existing set of 2 * 256 my Mac came with.

For whatever reason, when I installed my memory, I took the original 2 * 256 out, installed my 2 * 1G in the slots the original memory was in, and then put the original memory in the next slots. I thought that the machine might perform better if the first 1GB or so was all on the same chip set.

Now I am wondering, is there a reason for Apple's injunction to put any new memory after the original 2 * 256, not instead of it? Is that first set of memory slots special in any way? How about the memory itself? I am assuming it is the same speed and width as any other compatible memory for this machine. Am I wrong?

By the way, my Mac happily shows that it has 2.5 GB of memory, so all my memory is being recognized. I am just always hunting for new ways to make it ever faster!

Don't know why they told you "after" unless they just didn't want you mucking around with it... there is no reason why that i know of that it won't work just fine by replacing the 256's... The fact that your machine DOES see the proper amount of memory means that things was installed correctly and should work just fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.