Parallels and Linux?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" i7 Unibody, HK Speakers and a Wacom A5 Wide tablet
I have Parallels for Mac which allows me to run Windows XP fine on my MacBook Pro. I want to install Suse Linux 10.1 as its free to download but I am unsure what version to download. There is a PPC version, an x86 version and and x86-64 version which I can download, does anyone know what version would support my Intel Dual core?

Here a link to the site http://en.opensuse.org/Released_Version

Or can someone recommend a good free version of Linux?

(Sorry Schweb-thanks)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
This post belongs in the Windows/Linux forum as the sticky at the top of every forum indicates.

Moving...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Ubuntu Dapper has a very active Mac user community, and it has native PPC and Intel builds. It's free, and comes as a 650MB download or you can have a CD shipped for free. It's generally regarded as the 'best' distro out there for a variety of desktop-related definitions of 'best', but I guess it depends on what you want to do with it.

http://desrt.mcmaster.ca/macbook.xhtml

OP
randomfactor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was looking at more a mainstream distro like Suse, but i think i'll give the x86 version of Suse a go. But I will take note of Ubuntu as the still have a few issues. I was still amazed he was able to install his distro on the day the MBP came out.

Has anyone got a Linux distro working on their Macbook/Pro under Parallels?
Does it work okay? And what sort of space does the full install need?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
randomfactor said:
does anyone know what version would support my Intel Dual core?

Here a link to the site http://en.opensuse.org/Released_Version

Or can someone recommend a good free version of Linux?

(Sorry Schweb-thanks)

You should download OpenSuSE 10.1 x86 isos.

I have installed Ubuntu 6.06 x86 on Parallels and it works fine for me.

OP
randomfactor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
novicew said:
You should download OpenSuSE 10.1 x86 isos.

I have installed Ubuntu 6.06 x86 on Parallels and it works fine for me.

Cheers I'm downloading Suse now. Should take a few hours to download.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
You should consider SuSE SLICK 10.1. This is part of the SuSE SUPER performance enhanced project (SUPER = SUse PErformance Enhanced Release), based on 10.1 of course. I installed it on an older x86 PC and was amazed. I have run SuSE 9.0, 9.3 and now SuSE SLICK 10.1. While I heard that SuSE's already prodiguously long boot time has gotten longer in mainstream 10.1, it was SIGNFICANTLY shorter in the SLICK release. I went from GRUB to logged in KDE desktop in only 45s total, vs. about 1 min and 15 seconds for SuSE 9.3. This was on a 1.4 GHz Pentium IV. If you are starting from scratch, and you want SuSE (and it *is* a great release) get SLICK.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
...of course, Mac OS X boots even faster than that, so it all depends on what you are comparing it to, and what you are expecting.

OP
randomfactor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac57 said:
...of course, Mac OS X boots even faster than that, so it all depends on what you are comparing it to, and what you are expecting.

Just really want to get back into Linux and see what they've done since version 7 of Suse. Plus it would be handy to have XP, Suse and OSX running on the same laptop to test websites and animation encodings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
I suggest you either try Ubuntu Linux (a personal favorite of mine) or I'm also going to give Gentoo Linux a shot. But from what I've heard, Ubuntu works fine.

OP
randomfactor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BlindingLights said:
I suggest you either try Ubuntu Linux (a personal favorite of mine) or I'm also going to give Gentoo Linux a shot. But from what I've heard, Ubuntu works fine.

Tried to install Suse 10.1 but there was some error under software saying dvd///.... in yast. Couldn't resolve this as it wouldn't let me go any further so I am now trying Ubuntu.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Sorry to hear that. But as I said with Ubuntu I had no problem. It is running smoothly as ever :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
eh, ubuntu's giving me problems with the install, I think I'm gonna have to install XP, THEN install Ubuntu...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.