HELP! Memory upgrade nightmare

N

Nobody

As previously mentioned, I have the PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz Combo Drive, which comes with 256 MB of RAM. I ordered 512 MB more for it and was happy to see that it arrived today.

I downloaded the PDF from Apple's website explaining an installation procedure that seemed simple enough. Just remove the battery, unscrew the memory door, open, install the memory, and reseal the door.

Well, unscrewing the memory door turned out to be a lot harder than I thought. The document doesn't explain what screwdriver you need. I tried several and have now stripped two of the screws. D'oh.

Please tell me this is fixable! I love my PowerBook, and it is expensive, and I feel like I just trashed it. I guess I need to know three things now:

1. What kind of screwdriver should I have used?
2. Is there anything I can use to remove the stripped screws?
3. Presumably the stripped screws will need to be replaced. What kind of screw should I replace them with?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: In case it wasn't clear, I never actually got in there or installed the memory. It is sitting on my desk. :(

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I believe that Apple uses torex screws (spelling).

OP
N

Nobody

Not any more. They thankfully switched to Phillips sometime around the first Ti G4. What I meant was, WHAT SIZE? ARGH!

Thanks for your reply.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I beg to differ. I have one of the first generation Ti powerbook and it has torex screws. Maybe the later versions are using philips screws.

OP
M

mattk

yea it is prolly torex and u think its phillips... i stripped a screw on my dads car headlight housing...looked like a phillips too me! haha whoops

OP
N

Nobody

Well, I'm sorry, but you guys are no help at all.

It says right in the manual that it is a Phillips size 00 screw. (I didn't realize this earlier.) I took my PowerBook to a local hardware store and between their skills and my skills I got the upgrade working. I don't know exactly when they changed to Phillips - I read somewhere that it was around the first Ti - but if you have a current PowerBook and you insist on not believing me, have fun destroying your PowerBook with a Torx screwdriver. :(

EDIT: Sorry rman. The above is mainly directed at mattk.

OP
M

mattk

lol, chill out. and no i wont have problems.... i read manuals and know how to unscrew things without stripping them.... and its not like i can goto your house and hold your hand. Sorry, better luck next time? ha

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.