Networking a mac and a pc - sharing a drive

P

postitnote100

My wife has a mac notebook and I have a pc laptop. Currently we both access the internet via a wireless router. I want to be able to share one of my hard-drives with my wife's notebook and do it wirelessly.

I have formated the drive as FAT32 so that both her mac and my pc can read/write. I have already set the drive to be shared on my pc. The problem is that I do not know how to get her mac to see it and use it.

I'm running windows xp pro and she has tiger. What I have tried so far: in Finder going to 'Connect to Server'. There is no drop down menu, only a text field for the server to connect to, so I have tried typing in the ip address of the pc. I get the following error: "Could not connect to the server because the name or the password is not correct".

The ip address of the pc is the same as the mac because they use the same router, and I think this may be why I am getting the error. I have gone to keychain, but there is no password established for this ip address - I think it is using the password for the computer itself (since the ip address is self-referencing).

I'm in the dark here. I'm not very experienced with macs. Am I close or way off? Does anyone know what I need to do to get this to work?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
This may help you a bit

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.