Upgradind from 512mb RAM worth it?

S

StealthMode

Just curious if I upgraded to more RAM, how much it would help as far as speed goes. Right now I have 2x256mb, wish I would have gotten one 512 instead :( Now if I want a GB I'd have to get either 2x512's, or 1gb stick. I am thinking of maybe adding some in the next couple months.

Stealth -

OP
S

StarManta

I think OSX does a very good job of handling virtual memory when the RAM runs out, but more memory is always a good thing. :) Whether it's worth the price of 2 512's depends on what youre running. right now i'm on 512 MB and it doesnt ever seem to slow me down, and i always have tons of stuff open.

OP
M

mattk

mine has 2 256 also.. and i want more...easiest way i figured was to get a 1 GB and then keep in a 256 also... and then... sell your other 256? :)

then again ihad my PB only 1 week, so i dunno what im talkin about :)

OP
S

StealthMode

mattk said:
mine has 2 256 also.. and i want more...easiest way i figured was to get a 1 GB and then keep in a 256 also... and then... sell your other 256? :)

then again ihad my PB only 1 week, so i dunno what im talkin about :)
Thats what I was thinking of doing.. But I am not noticing any slow downs, I'me very impressed with the speed so far and everything. Nuthing runs slow at all. But if I were to see a nice increase in performance, then I would think about upgrading to more RAM.
In the future I probably will upgrade some more. Not doing to much graphics editing on here yet either, so I can wait. For what I have been doing with it so far, it's been working great.

Stealth -

OP
B

brody

i upgraded from 512 to 1gig. i can't really tell the difference in most situations. i mostly use my powerbook for photoshop, illustrator, dreamweaver and flash. i am just learning flash though. i think once i get more into it, or maybe even into some video editing i'll be able to tell.
it runs 512 **** smooth though.
if you're upgrading, i'd buy 2x512 and just ebay your 256 sticks. i paid the extra $100 to have 1x512. it was easier to upgrade, but it might have been cheaper to just have the stock 2x256....sell them both and buy new. those 1 gig sticks would be nice, but they're $600!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Ti PB G4 867MHz 1GB RAM 10.4.6
Do it, 1GB is way faster gaming wise,

Go to memory X they have the samsung originals.

Smart thing to do.

OP
J

JazzTrpt

GT5.0 said:
Do it, 1GB is way faster gaming wise,

Go to memory X they have the samsung originals.

Smart thing to do.

Hm, yeah I have had my powerbook for a little over a week and it's been great, but when I play Unreal 2003 it is kinda choppy and I know it's RAM, cause OSX takes quite a bit, and I had some other apps open as well. I'm thinking of just buying a 1 gb stick and leaving one of the 256's in there.

OP
S

StealthMode

Well I can get the 1gb kit from memoryx for $272, I think I will order it next month. I noticed when I was doing some graphics projects with both Illustrator and PhotoShop going with multiple windows opened for different graphics, it was kind of slow when applying filters, or anything like that.
Thanx guys.

Stealth -

OP
C

cthree

I just bought a 15" PB and I ordered a single 512 stick. I can get another stick from crucial for $129, half what apple wants. The $ for the single stick is always worth it. Better if they offered no RAM but it's the second best.

RAM and lots of it is good mmmkay

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.