memory and video card question

Reaction score
I was talking to a friend today who works for CompUSA. He told me that Macs can supposrt any amount of RAM regardless of the size of the sticks. I have a dual processor 2.5ghz G5 and was under the assumtion that it would max out at 8 gigs of RAM. Would it be plausible to put in 8 2gig sticks to go up to 16 gigs?

Also, he said that virtually an ATI video cards would work in a Mac, and when I talked to Apple they said as long as the drivers were available for the Mac, the video card should work. Even though a card doesn't have Mac specs on the box, would it be OK to put it in?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
um, what mac are you talking about. each mac has a maximum amount of ram you can put in it.

and yes just about any video card with supported drivers will work even though it doesnt say it on the box. let us know what you want to use and we will help you out saying 'yea itll work' or 'nope'
-chris

OP
J
Reaction score
coach_z said:
um, what mac are you talking about. each mac has a maximum amount of ram you can put in it.

and yes just about any video card with supported drivers will work even though it doesnt say it on the box. let us know what you want to use and we will help you out saying 'yea itll work' or 'nope'
-chris

I have a dual processor 2.5ghz g5. I know the max that is stated is 8 gigs but what if I put 8 2 gig sticks in it? Will it support 16 gigs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
no
-chris

edit: let me expand on my response. it states that the max is 8 gigs because the max is 8 gigs. also, i would not allow your friend who works at compUSA to ever work on or use your computer if he believes what he has told you to be true.

OP
J
Reaction score
coach_z said:
no
-chris

edit: let me expand on my response. it states that the max is 8 gigs because the max is 8 gigs. also, i would not allow your friend who works at compUSA to ever work on or use your computer if he believes what he has told you to be true.

it didn't sound right, so I wanted to make sure. It's not that 8 gigs isn't alot, but since I do alot of video and graphic design intensive work, I want to be able to max out my computers potential. I'm also weary about buying an video card (or any addon card for that matter) that doesn't specifically have Mac OS X requirements.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
jgbx said:
Also, he said that virtually an ATI video cards would work in a Mac, and when I talked to Apple they said as long as the drivers were available for the Mac, the video card should work. Even though a card doesn't have Mac specs on the box, would it be OK to put it in?

I don't believe this is correct. There are mac versions of many ATI cards and many others can be 'flashed' with mac roms (drivers whatever), but don't buy a video card unless you know it will work with your computer.

If you don't know if a video card will work in your G5 or not check around the web ATI's site is pretty good. You can also search these forums. OWC (www.macsales.com) has a pretty good compatibility guide last time I checked.

Flashing a Mac ROM onto a PC video card voids its warranty and sometimes breaks it (i.e. won't work in PC or Mac).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
So what about older machines like the first gen iBook G4. Apple said 640 was the max and that was only because at the time there were no 1GB PC2100 sticks. As soon as the bigger sticks came out people were able to use put up to 1.12GB.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.