Partitions and re-installing OS X

R

Rusyn

Hello All,

So I was reading the post about reinstalling OS X on a laptop and I have some questions:

If you use the Disk Utility to make a partition, stick all your data on it, and then do a clean install of OS X on the C-drive (?), will everything be okay?

The reason I ask this is because the partition-making utility in XP is not that reliable, and you cannot truly have a clean install with an XP-partition. You should use a utility such as Partition Magic or something to make a logical partition that will protect your data.

Can I do it with the Disk Util? Or should I use some third-party app? And is there an app anyone would recommend?

Cheers,

Rusyn

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
To make a partition on a single drive it has to reformat the drive so I dont think what you are looking to do is possible

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You will not be able to do a clean install and save your data at the same time. If you plan to repartition and do a clean instaqll. You will need to make a back up of all of your data.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.