Any Camino users here?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
I finally gave Camino a shot after a few recommendations by other Mac users...and I really like it! I'm a huge Firefox fan, but Camino feels SO much faster on my Intel Mini, plus I like some of the little things about it better - nicer GUI buttons, kill button is on the tab instead of all the way on the right, folders within the bookmark toolbar folder, etc.

One question I have is about security. I know that Firefox is pretty secure and it seems that Camino is too, especially since it's part of the Mozilla Foundation. Is is safe enough to use as my default browser? What I don't understand is why there is both a Firefox and a Camino - from the same foundation!

Anyway, if you haven't tried Camino out and you are a Firefox user or aren't satisfied with Safari, give it a shot. Here's the link:

http://www.caminobrowser.org/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
It's certainly safe enough to use, though if you're going for speed and security, Opera 9 beats out both Firefox and Camino at the moment. Plus, it passes the Acid2 test. :)

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Discerptor said:
It's certainly safe enough to use, though if you're going for speed and security, Opera 9 beats out both Firefox and Camino at the moment. Plus, it passes the Acid2 test. :)

I'm giving Opera a try as I type this. Not bad! I didn't really care for the Windows version of Opera, but it's not too bad on a Mac. It's definately faster, even when resizing the window. **-hum, I'll have to play with Camino and Opera today to see which I like better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
I've been using it most exclusively for the last few months. I like it alot. I just wish it didn't sacrifice accuracy for speed.

zal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BackMac Book 2Ghz Duo-Core, iMac G3(running Os X)
i'm fire fox for life

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah, camino all the way baby!

I can't wait for them to integrate spell-checking...

My spelling has improved a ton since I started using Safari (and since I started posting here far too much ;)).

I think it's already available in nightly builds, so it shouldn't be long now!

Z

zap2

I'm using it over Bon Echo right now, because i had a skin on my Mac, which makes most Apps look like iTunes 5+ and its look nicer with Camino then Bon Echo, also Camino is very fast(however i think Echo is also very fast) also with Bon Echo i feel i'm fighting MS's IE and a that feel "right" but i

Reaction score
I made the switch from FF over to Camino about a week ago. If you use FF over a long period to time, without closing it out, it really becomes a resource hog. I also was a HUGE fan of FF on pc, and initially used FF exclusively on my new mac. But once I tried Camino for a while, I like it as much or more.

1 thing though, the popup blocking isnt as good as FF. I do have Camitools, but even so, there are times I get popups. For instance, go here

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/bad_religion_tabs.htm

Click on any tab and I almost always get a popup. Even trying to add them to the filter set does no good. Any ideas? I get no popups with FF.

I did download Opera last night, but the layout looks kind of confusing. Id tried it for PC a few times and never stuck with it more than a few minutes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200RPM HD
voodoodaddy said:
I made the switch from FF over to Camino about a week ago. If you use FF over a long period to time, without closing it out, it really becomes a resource hog. I also was a HUGE fan of FF on pc, and initially used FF exclusively on my new mac. But once I tried Camino for a while, I like it as much or more.

1 thing though, the popup blocking isnt as good as FF. I do have Camitools, but even so, there are times I get popups. For instance, go here

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/bad_religion_tabs.htm

Click on any tab and I almost always get a popup. Even trying to add them to the filter set does no good. Any ideas? I get no popups with FF.

I did download Opera last night, but the layout looks kind of confusing. Id tried it for PC a few times and never stuck with it more than a few minutes.

Another fan of Camino here. I was going to say I NEVER get pop-ups. However, I went to site above and sure enough I got one pop-up. Not sure how the website is getting around it though.

Camino is fast, simple, and has a great layout. The only drawback is a lack of skins (compared to FF) however, most of the FF skins are ugly so it is not a big deal (to me).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Interesting info here. So far I'm very happy just using Safari

Reaction score
I used it when I was running 10.3x on my mac mini because Safari was kind of slow. My old 1.33ghz iBook with 10.4 and my MacBook Pro run Safari great, so no real reason.

Reaction score
kaidomac said:
What I don't understand is why there is both a Firefox and a Camino - from the same foundation!
It's optimized for OS X. This page answers many Camino questions.
. . . Camino and Firefox both grew out of the browser element of Mozilla, therefore it is incorrect to think of Camino as the Macintosh version of Firefox especially since it actually predates the Macintosh version of Firefox.
Mozillazine runs a bunch of forums on Firefox, SeaMonkey, Camino and Thunderbird. It's run by volunteers, not Mozilla.

This link will take you to the forums. The Camino section is about halfway down.

Reaction score
I didn't get any popups on that site, I'm using a nightly though. If you want to add themes, try this. I can't figure it out but...........hhttp://pimpmycamino.com/applications/caminicon/ttp://pimpmycamino.com/applications/caminicon/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP
I flip flop between firefox and camino, right now FF is locked in the dock. I think what did it for me was finding some plugins that actually applied to me. Methinks I'll give opera 9 a whirl tho.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
Hmm I went to that site and didnt get any pop ups. That little "popup blocked" icon showed up in the bottom of the window. I didn't get click on all the tabs tho.

zal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BackMac Book 2Ghz Duo-Core, iMac G3(running Os X)
although i have had issues with firefox, generally i find the level of customizability to be bar none, the best on the market

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Does The Unofficial Apple Weblog slow down Camino for anyone else?

http://www.tuaw.com/

Try opening TUAW's website and then opening another tab and browsing within that. I get some serious slowdowns on my machine (2ghz Core Duo/2gb ram/7200rpm hard drive running 10.4.7). Anyone else get that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
I'll have to try Camino again - I tried it a year ago but not since. I may again :d

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, 1.5gb RAM, 40gb HDD
I haven't tried Camino yet, but I probably will. I started off using Firefox, but it was reaaaallly slow. I kept on getting that **** multi-colored wheel. I then moved to Safari, and it's better, but for some reason I can't get it to open links from other pages in new tabs. I've changed the settings in the preferences and it won't do what I want it to.

Well, I'm using Opera right now, literally just DL'd it, and it's pretty nice. Different, but nice. It has a real windows feel to it, if you know what I mean. I'm going to DL camino in the next couple of days, though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.