• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

New Mac user needs help with transfering data?

Z

zrsmith

I am new mac user and just got a Macbook Pro with Mac OS X and i want to try and transfer all of my itunes from my windows powered HP. How can I do this, I know it is possible but everytime I contact apple support they just send me some articles, can anyone tell me step by step how to do this. I have a large library with 1700 songs.
thanks for the help,
zack

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
If you have an iPod (or any other external drive), simply use it as an external drive and move the songs between the two on it. If not, burn the song files to a data CD or DVD on the PC and then copy them to the Mac. Either of those will be the easiest way to do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
a crossover ethernet cable to network them together can work to :)

Reaction score
I'd say take a data cd or DVD and burn your entire My Music> Itunes > Itunes Music folder to that disk. Put it onto the mac in the Itunes Music folder (i dont know where that is since i dont even have mine yet) and then start itunes, then do File>Input and input the Itunes Music Folder.

And there is all of your music.

I did it that way and it only took me about 10 minutes to do that half way, but I had to use 3 dvds. The transfer from CD or DVD to Mac should only take about a minute every 150 songs or so.

Good Luck

Hope that I helped.

OP
Z

zrsmith

I have tried it all and I feel retarded?

I tried to do it and I can see the itunes library on my computer but it will not allow me to transfer it to itunes on my mac, why not???help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!
dude, it tells you how to do it on the apple website. use your iPod like it tells you how here: http://www.apple.com/macosx/switch/howto/ipod.html

just go into your music folder -NOT iTunes- and copy the entire folder into the ipod. then transfer. really easy. that's how i did it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.