Old iMac goes puzzempff...then stays off???

L

lokerd

Hello. During class today, one of the lab computers made a short zemph sound, then jsut died. No smoke or anything, but it sounded like something shorted out. Are there any user replaceable fuses that I should check before dropping this off for the Apple store to look at?

Thanks!
Drew

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
take a look under the colored plastic case.. could just be a missing wire..

but if you don't know about the stored power in a CTR monitor, just break on with your hands and feel the power. :D hint: be very careful, or death could occur.

OP
M

miklb

lokerd said:
Hello. During class today, one of the lab computers made a short zemph sound, then jsut died. No smoke or anything, but it sounded like something shorted out. Are there any user replaceable fuses that I should check before dropping this off for the Apple store to look at?

Thanks!
Drew
It very well could be the analog board. Mine did it about 6 months ago. Then about 3 months later, it appeared to do the same thing, however it turned out to be the HD.

Good luck, neither opption is cheap.

OP
L

lokerd

Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and dropped it off at the Apple store...didn't sound like anything I could fix under the hood.

Drew

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.