panorama/stitching programs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06
2-week newbie here, looking for how-to with new Mac.

Panorama creation.......On PC, I used PTGui which was a remarkable product. From searching here, I found, downloaded, and used HP Image Zone which appears to be easy but not as good and not as flexible.

Given Mac reputation for photo manipulation, have to believe there's better way. What do Mac-users suggest for best panorama/stitching program?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
I would recommend Hugin. It uses Panorama Tools and works on a variety of platforms. I've had some very good results from it.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06
cazabam said:
I would recommend Hugin. It uses Panorama Tools and works on a variety of platforms. I've had some very good results from it.

Thanks for response. Downloaded and played around. However, Mac version appears to be pre-Beta and was troublesome. Appears to require additional plug-ins, too. Succeeded in locking up the entire machine while playing with it -- bad sign. Maybe something I'm not understanding?

Actually, I've been disappointed in this early going with a number of things I can't do with my new iMac without searching out various betas. I had the impression that Macs were where its at for graphic stuff, especially. Not liking the apparent limitations I'm encountering with my own pix or with web-content. Wondering to what degree these software limitations may be a hindrance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
There are actually quite a few tools out there. Hugin, PTMac, Photoshop, DoubleTake, PhotoStitch are just a couple that I can think of off the top of my head.

You might want to check out MacUpdate http://www.macupdate.com for software

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Murlyn said:
There are actually quite a few tools out there. Hugin, PTMac, Photoshop, DoubleTake, PhotoStitch are just a couple that I can think of off the top of my head.

You might want to check out MacUpdate http://www.macupdate.com for software

Thanks. Printed out your reply and will search/examine/consider.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What version of Hugin did you try? I grabbed version 0.5 for Mac OS X and, after extracting the zip file, simply dragged the Hugin application icon into Applications. It seems to work fine, and I produced a simple 2 picture panorama with no fuss.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Screen says "hugin 0.5". Icon says "HuginOSX."

Wondering if there are additional plug-ins needed to complete? Maybe a compromised download?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What features are you missing? The HuginOSX application package contains everything it needs to run. Not sure why you got a total lock up ... that doesn't sound like anything an application like Hugin could cause. Could you kill it with command-option-esc?

I'm not saying your problems aren't real, I just haven't experienced either of them with Hugin on any platform, and I've used it on Mac, Linux and Windows :)

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Been busy with other things, so haven't yet returned to Hugin. However, have had good results with free HP Image Zone download. It's stitcher is not flexible -- only does single-row horizontal stitches. But it does do those easily, quickly, and suprisingly well. Will probably camp-out with this until I have time to get more deeply into it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.