• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Windows apps without Windows

Reaction score
It used to be that running Windows programs on a Mac was a slow, painful process. There was only one option: running Virtual PC emulation software.

But with Apple Computer's shift to Intel chips, the pool of options has expanded considerably. For one, Apple has its own Boot Camp software, which lets Intel-based Macs boot up with either Windows or Mac OS X. Meanwhile, start-up Parallels has released software that lets the Microsoft operating system run in a separate virtual machine with only a slight loss in performance.

Soon there will be yet another option, which, unlike the current choices, doesn't even require a copy of Windows. A company called CodeWeavers is using an open-source technology called Wine to allow some Windows programs to run under Mac OS X.

Read Full Story

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
I've used Wine under Linux for some time, and although technically it will work under Mac OS X if you build it yourself, Codeweavers have done a great job of making it 'Just Work'. Good news!

OP
coltssaturday
Reaction score
Geowge said:
That's awesome. If games ever work, i'm getting Wine. :D

Thats good that you pointed out games, because if they ever work on macs well then many more people well be attracted to macs. :miner:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
here come the viruses... great, now we all have to go out and buy antivirus software...

anyway, that'd be helpful for gaming.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
BlindingLights said:
here come the viruses... great, now we all have to go out and buy antivirus software...

anyway, that'd be helpful for gaming.
I am not saying that Macs can't get viruses...but why would this make it any more prone to a virus than it is now??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
For those that don't know, Wine runs under it's own little virtual environment. Only programs running within wine get to access as it if were a Windows drive, and anything bad that happens to it can be easily wiped out by simply removing that directory.

I've actually used it, on occasion, to find out just what nasty files and registry entries a trojen creates by backup up my .wine directory, running the trojan in wine, then doing a recursive diff on the directory. To remove the trojan, I just delete the infected directory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
D3v1L80Y said:
I am not saying that Macs can't get viruses...but why would this make it any more prone to a virus than it is now??

oh, didn't understand the whole directory thing... i thought it would allow all .exe files to run...

OP
coltssaturday
Reaction score
Wouldn't macs be less prone to viruses even if we used this thing came out because macs are Unix based and i have heard that they are a lot safer than the windows platform base.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.