Hacking the IR port

F

flyboy8824

is there some kind of application or applescript that allows you to use any IR device for the MBP. i read somewhere that someone used a harmony remote to control their mac mini. i think it would be cool to control other applications too

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
I don't know about other IR devices controlling the Mac, but Remote Buddy lets you control applications with the remote.

Welcome to the Forums! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
stock 17" 2.8ghz unibody mbp.
my dad had a vcr that had a controller where you can program it.. all you did was point both devices's ir port towards each other and the vcr controller was set to "learn" and ta' da..

check out the source / radio shark for some uni. remotes

Reaction score
Remote Control

I was also wondering if you could control the MBP with an outside remote. I am a flight simulator enthusiast and i have an Infrared remote control to a helicopter layin around and i had the idea, what if i was able to control it in flight simulator? so i began my search for a way to make it possible. I was looking to see if there was a infrared settings editor or something of the sort on the Mac. what do ya think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2010 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, 320GB HDD, 320M
If you go into setting an click "security" and uncheck the remote pair to allow any remote to acces your computer, i think you can use any remote

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
A thread from 2006 and brought from the dead. Leave the dead to be dead.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
A thread from 2006 and brought from the dead. Leave the dead to be dead.

Usually I would be in total agreement :)...but this is an unusual instance that I'm glad an old "dead" thread has resurfaced. I had never heard of the program "Remote Buddy" linked above.

So I guess sometimes "waking up" a dead thread can be beneficial.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.