Confused with monitor ports

R

revslide

Hi everyone, i've looked through the forums for an answer to my problem but to no avail.

Ok i'm using a 2002 quicksilver g4 with the stock geforce mx graphics card. I think this card has only ADC and VGA outputs.

Anyway i tried to connect this 19" viewsonic VA902 display that has only the standard VGA input it shows no signal when connected and returns to standby mode.

The question is that i'm puzzled why two VGA devices can't work.

I understand a ADC-VGA adapter could be used but what does the VGA output on my mac serves as then ?

I would really appreciate it if someone could enlighten me on this issue. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
both my moniotrs are VGA - mine is probably similar to yours, ADC and VGA. I'm not sure what you're asking - is your new monitor not recognizing your VGA port, or something else?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
I'm not really sure what the question is either, but here's at least a bit of an explanation:
The Quicksilver stock graphic card (like most PowerMacs) supports 2 displays, all you need to use 2 VGA displays is an ADC to VGA adaptor.

If you have just one display, and it's VGA, you can use the VGA connector, the Mac recognizes automatically which one is connected.
If that's what you did, and it still doesn't work, try the display on an other computer (with the same cable). If it works, there's something wrong with the Quicksilver.

OP
R

revslide

Avalon said:
I'm not really sure what the question is either, but here's at least a bit of an explanation:
The Quicksilver stock graphic card (like most PowerMacs) supports 2 displays, all you need to use 2 VGA displays is an ADC to VGA adaptor.

If you have just one display, and it's VGA, you can use the VGA connector, the Mac recognizes automatically which one is connected.
If that's what you did, and it still doesn't work, try the display on an other computer (with the same cable). If it works, there's something wrong with the Quicksilver.

Hi Avalon,

I apologise if my question was confusing. I intend to use only one display(VGA) for my mac. The problem is that it pops up a 'No Signal' message and then goes to standby mode(blank). I plugged the VGA monitor cable directly to my mac's VGA port.

It's a new monitor that works fine on another PC in my room so i'm really confused on the source of the problem.

OP
R

revslide

deus_ex_machina said:
both my moniotrs are VGA - mine is probably similar to yours, ADC and VGA. I'm not sure what you're asking - is your new monitor not recognizing your VGA port, or something else?

Hi machina,

Yes it seems the new VGA monitor doesn't work on my mac's VGA port. :confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
Have you tested the VGA port with any other monitor? If you get the same results then you r card may be shot - unless your ADC still works, and you can get an adapter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
I'd go with deus' suggestion...try another monitore on that VGA port...if you still get no signal, try to take out the graphics card and put it back in and try again. Maybe it's just slightly unseated.
Does the Quicksilver boot normally? With startup sound and hard disk activity when starting it?

OP
R

revslide

deus_ex_machina said:
Have you tested the VGA port with any other monitor? If you get the same results then you r card may be shot - unless your ADC still works, and you can get an adapter.

Unfortunately i don't have any spare VGA monitors around. I'll try to get one and find that out.

I think the VGA port on my mac should be working as i've never plugged anything into it before. Only used the ADC port since i bought my mac.

OP
R

revslide

Avalon said:
I'd go with deus' suggestion...try another monitore on that VGA port...if you still get no signal, try to take out the graphics card and put it back in and try again. Maybe it's just slightly unseated.
Does the Quicksilver boot normally? With startup sound and hard disk activity when starting it?

Yea my mac seems to start normally. In fact while the VGA monitor is powered and plugged in(Blank), i took it out and plugged my old apple display into the ADC, the screen shows up.

Anyway i will try to reposition the graphic card like you said. Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.