So how do we backup the XP side of Boot Camp?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Edit: Discovered a method, will post details later :)

I'm interested in finding a solution for making a complete clone (disk image) of Windows XP under Boot Camp. Currently, the best solution I know of is CopyCatX, a $60 program that makes a complete clone of the hard drive (both OS X and XP). I'm looking for a way to make a copy of just the XP partition.

The first option I tried was Norton Ghost. I couldn't make a copy the usual way (restarting from Windows and having Ghost auto-boot into it's backup program). It gave me the error "Unable to read MBR in Virtual Partition DLL". So I tried restarting the computer and booting up from the Ghost CD (which is bootable). It froze at the menu. So Ghost is currently a no-go, although I'm still holding out hope.

The second option I tried is Apple's own Disk Utility. I made a .dmg of the XP partition, which was successful. However, I wasn't able to restore it from within OS X. I did some research and discovered that you supposedly can't restore an image to a partition that is on the same disk that your boot partition is. So I hooked up my Intel Mini to my wife's Intel iMac in Target Disk Mode via Firewire to see if I could copy the image back that way. Nope, the restore option is still grayed out. I gave it a last shot by booting the Mini's OS X disk and using Disk Utility from there. Still a no-go.

I've read about various options using BartPE and other tools. I gave BartPE a try and didn't have any luck, but I'm no BartPE expert. If anyone knows how to clone just the XP partition, I'm all ears. Otherwise I'll give CopyCatX a shot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I think you'll have to use a backup utility that copies the files you want to backup, rather than one that clones the entire partition.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Aptmunich said:
I think you'll have to use a backup utility that copies the files you want to backup, rather than one that clones the entire partition.

The trouble with that is that I use a lot of programs, especially a lot of small, custom applications. My install list is ~55 programs long and I like to make a base installation, create a cloned backup disk or image to a spare hard drive, and then restore that as needed. Really cuts down on my maintenance time because I don't have to reinstall every single one of those programs again. I still use many of them as I am still in the midst of switching and I'm not willing to re-invest in many applications like Adobe CS until they become universal. Thus I want to create a backup of the XP side of things. I think I'm just going to call it quits and pick up CopyCatX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I would back it up just like any other Windows Box....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
baggss said:
I would back it up just like any other Windows Box....
...and backup until quarter 2, when Adobe releases CS3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
i would actually recommend trying to back up to an external. It's what I do, and it's fast, efficient, and is fail-safe.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Just an FYI, I figured out how to do it - Bart WinPE + DriveImage XML is the ticket. I'll post details later, but it is definately doable :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
BlindingLights said:
i would actually recommend trying to back up to an external. It's what I do, and it's fast, efficient, and is fail-safe.

going to an external drive is not fail safe - power outage? Harddrive dies? USB / Firewire cable gets accidently falls out, or port dies.

Nothing in the world of technology is fail sfe.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.