iBook G4 Case Colour Mod

C

canadian_eh

I stumbled upon a little tutorial a while ago, is shows how to change the colour of your iBook. Unfortunately, it only works for iBooks with the clear plastic case, and paint underneath. The new iBooks however, are white plastic.
Through some Googling, I found a few places showing how to change the colour of the apple logo on the back, but none about the case itself.
I was thinking maybe just painting it oughta do it, but I'm not sure exactly how I should go about it.
Should I use a specific kind of paint, or can I use just any paint I have lying around?
Should I put on something after the paint, like a coating of some kind?

Any suggestions would be great!!

Sean

Reaction score
I wouldn't recomend painting it in the first place but since you want to know what to do, this is what I did to paint my old dell laptop. I used normal spraypaint for outdoor chairs and such and taped off all parts not to be painted, the keyboard, screen, and ports, MAKE SURE THIS IS DONT FLAWLESSLY AS PAINT ON THE KEYBOARD, SCREEN, OR PORTS CAN BASICALLY RUIN THE LOOK AND FUNCTIONALITY OF THE MACHINE. After everything is taped off perfectly spray evenly. Now, once it is dry I used the clear sealer which will make the paint feel like plastic instead of paint. I cant remember the exact name but it is a clear coat. Now this stuff comes out kinda speckled so make sure to apply enough to get rid of the speckled plastic effect but not too much so that its dripping of the edge. Let that dry and it should feel like new plastic.

Hope that helps.

I wouldnt try it myself but it's your compy.

OP
C

canadian_eh

Yeah, that's more or less what I figured.
I'm still deciding whether or not I want to do it.
It would be a nice change from the white though.
Maybe I'll wimp out and just change the colour of the Apple logo.

But why would you not recommend painting it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.07GHz; 30GB HDD; 512MB RAM; OS 10.4; 32MB VRAM; Combo Drive
canadian_eh said:
Yeah, that's more or less what I figured.
I'm still deciding whether or not I want to do it.
It would be a nice change from the white though.
Maybe I'll wimp out and just change the colour of the Apple logo.

But why would you not recommend painting it?

Well painting a laptop in general doesn't sound like a good idea just because paint can get inside the case and well... yeah :eek:neye:

As long as you preped the surface and taped every thing off you should be good. I dunno, I just wouldn't want to risk anything. Unless, of course you dismantled the thing....

OP
C

canadian_eh

I was thinking about taking off the parts I want to paint (the back of the screen, the bottom, the battery cover), to avoid any damage to the computer itself.
But I want to look into it more so that I know exactly how I should go about taking the case off without damaging the screen, or the mic.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.