Wireless Bandwidth Question

Reaction score
I have a Linksys wireless router and am running a MacBook Pro on it.

I downloaded iStat Pro and it says the following:

My "Airport In" is reading 183MB, the "Airport Out" is 6MB
The bandwith "In" is reading only 50-100KB

Is it me or is this really low? I don't know if anyone is sucking my bandwidth or not.

I tried to encrypt my signal by doing the WEP thing. When I turned on WEP password security, I could access wireless with my PC, but my iBook and MacBook Pro weren't able to access wirelessly. It kept saying "you weren't able to access the wireless network".

Any thoughts? Thanks! Trapz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
I am not to familair (yet) with the airport. However if it works like other wireless devices (which i'm sure it does) the Airport in and out is the speed you are connected to your router. the bandwidth is probably your internet speed. But i'm not positive.

OP
T
Reaction score
Hard wired vs Wireless

Yes, that is how it works. Basically, what is coming into my house is a lot faster than what is going in and out of my computer via Air Port.

I hooked up the TCP/IP line and turned wireless off. The bandwidth shot up to intermittent 758KB coming in.

If anyone else has any information, I would be very grateful.

Trapz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
What sort of upload/download speeds does your ISP advertise? Many will cap your upload speed to a fraction of your download speed. AP may just be making it worse due to interference and such.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
try out this link: http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ to see what your provider has, well, provided you. See what's expected from your ISP before deciding if you're denied adequate service.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.