macbook pro + router + airport express: recommendations?

Reaction score
i am one of those unlucky people who have been having terrible experiences with linksys + macbook. i have extremely fast cable modem but web pages that take 1-2 seconds to load on my sisters crappy pc laptop (ie amazon and yahoo) take 10-15 seconds to load on my macbook pro.
people with similar problems

anyway, i just want suggestions on a wireless router (non-linksys brands plz) i can buy for pretty cheap (perhaps on ebay) that dont have this slow internet issue with MBP. i would also like my airport express to be able to extend the routers signal since i like to play music through my express and surf internet etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
15 seconds to load a page is slow?

I still remember the days when it took 15 minutes to load a webpage.

OP
P
Reaction score
D3v1L80Y said:
15 seconds to load a page is slow?

I still remember the days when it took 15 minutes to load a webpage.

wouldnt you be ****** if you drove a ferrari your whole life and then all of a sudden had to drive a civic?...

can anyone just suggest a router they have that works fine with a mbp?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
PoutineEh said:
wouldnt you be ****** if you drove a ferrari your whole life and then all of a sudden had to drive a civic?...

can anyone just suggest a router they have that works fine with a mbp?
Nope. I wouldn't... and just like any other time, the car analogy doesn't work here either. ;)

All I am saying is that 8 seconds of your life isn't worth getting upset and spending money on a new router that may or may not even be the issue.
Different OS's and browsers decode pages ...well... differently.
Some web pages are simply coded and geared towards IE and/or Windows.
Then you have to take into account things like firewalls and other software factors in order for the page to be interpretted properly on a Mac and a different browser, so it may take a second or so longer.
In the link you posted, there are several others who have indeed used different routers (D-Link, Belkin, etc) and haven't had any difference noticed.

What I would suggest is trying a different browser first. From my experience, Safari and Firefox are the best and fastest.
If you are still concerned about the router, try looking to see if a firmware update is needed.

Either way, a few seconds of difference is really not worth getting upset about, especially if it is only a few sites.:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
how old is this router? have you updated firmware? Sometimes older routers need a tune-up to run at their peak ;) Think of a router as a road, not the car. Your MBP is the Ferrari, you're just trying to stay off Route 66... sure, it's scenic, but you've got places to go. :p

C

canadian_eh

I can't get my Airport Express to connect to a D-Link network.
There are Mac address filters set up on the router.
I found out the Mac address of the Express, and allowed it access to the network. But the light stays flashing orange, which means it can't find a network.
How do I configure the Airport Express so that it can extend the network?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.