Backup-Can't restore from discs

Reaction score
Well, I haven't made any progress with the archive/reinstall thing, so I tried another angle. I backed up the files I wanted to save on discs. Now, when I try to restore these files, it doesn't happen. It tells me that the disc is "not a backup disc". If I restore from this disc anyway, it scans some 20,000 odd files, and says restore completed (even though it only went through one disc of four) Even after repeating this with all four discs, only about 1% of the files are restored.
If anyone has any ideas/suggestions on how to make this work, or what the trouble might be, I'd be grateful for the input.

Oh- I'm running a 1.6 gig G5 with OSX.3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
check this sticky for any help first. When you're restoring your backed up files, are you just recopying choice files back to the HD?

OP
T
Reaction score
Yup, I read that. I am just restoring files from disc to HD.
When I tried archive/install, it said I couldn't because my install discs are an older version then what's installed.
Still stumped.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
tweet said:
Yup, I read that. I am just restoring files from disc to HD.
When I tried archive/install, it said I couldn't because my install discs are an older version then what's installed.
Still stumped.....

Hmmm... What restore discs are they? Last restore I did I used the Jaguar discs that came with and then upgraded back with Panther. I once had an archive/install corrupt in the middle. I had to wipe and do it clean. I just added the files back in the folders where I wanted them. It took a while :(

OP
T
Reaction score
The restore discs are the same I used when I got the G5- OSX.3 Panther.
I hope I don't have to wipe it. It would take a long-*** time to re-do those files.
Thanks for your input, though. Every bit helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.