Other World Computing (OWC) feedback

Reaction score
I will be purchasing a OWC Mercury Elite- AL Pro external hard drive (7,200 rpm FireWire 800/400+ USB2, 250GB) next week. I am wondering if anyone has heard anything, both positive and negative, regarding this product. Also, from what i've seen OWC's reputation (as a site) is pretty good, but what is their reputation regarding products made by them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
I don't know about their brand of hardware, but I deal with OWC on a regular basis and have had nothing but good experiences with them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
I just ordered the same drive, but with FW400 and USB2. It is a great product. Well executed. I have made many pruchases from OWC and they are a class act. Great customer support.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
I've purchased a hard drive and RAM from them - great support and speedy delivery. I'm in the market for more RAM and I am definitely going to continue buying from them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yeah I agree also they are a really good company and I've always enjoyed doing business with them. Another hard drive that I just saw released today and I would really love to get is this one.. you might want to take a look at it:

http://www.pcuniverse.com/product.asp?pid=3689573&m_id=25

I would have given you a OWC url, but it doesn't look like they have them up on their site.. if you are interested in the drive then you might give OWC a call and see if they will be selling them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Oh and newertech just slashed their prices probably due to the hard drive I mentioned above this post and this one is from OWC and it was just announced on MacMinute:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ministack/

I really like the look of both this one and the one I mentioned above.. and they both have a pretty small footprint :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I believe that a recent issue of MacWorld listed this drive as one of its "Top Hardware" choices - nothing but good things to say about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Murlyn, the link you provided to pcuniverse just times out when I try it. It does get to pcuniverse, but the product code just times out. No drive it shown. It looks like it must have been a Western Digital drive? It does bring up a "related searches" box that lists Western Digital drives.

I am looking for a new drive right now and was interested. What was compelling about this new drive? Can you check the URL to see if maybe it has changed? Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.