AirTunes advice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i7, iBook G4, iPod 5th Gen 30Gb
Hi guys,

I'm currently getting annoyed at the fact that I have my speaker system and printer cables protruding from the side of my iBook at the moment.

I know of the AirTunes capability that my iBook has (what with the Airport Card inside it) so I started looking at products to enable me to project my music through the air to a speaker system.

I found the Airport Express Basestation

However, before going ahead and buying it I was just wondering if it is necessary to connect it to an internet connection. My house already has a wireless router and I can connect to the internet wirelessly using that so I do not need that feature of the base station.

Could someone let me know if it's fine to use the base station purely for music and printing? Is there another similar product that is only for printing and music?

Thanks,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
I would highly recommend the Airport Express. Mine works flawlessly with wireless printing and wireless music sharing.

In answer to your question, yes, it's fine to use it for just printing and music. It doesn't *need* an internet connection.

Reaction score
I have the Express and love it. There are other wireless print servers out there, and other wireless music servers, but I haven't seen one that does both. The simple wireless print servers can cost between $50-100 along, so the Express isn't that expensive for what it can do.

OP
tom_hoyle
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i7, iBook G4, iPod 5th Gen 30Gb
Cheers guys

the help is much appreciated.

Now I've just got to find some money!

thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual core 20" iMac | 2GB RAM | 256MB ATI Radeon | 500GB HD | anticipated delivery: 7/3/06 -> 7/11/06
I have an Airport Express and I like it a lot. When I got it, I used it on the same powered speakers that I connect to my computer to compare the quality and it is identical as far as I can tell. Though I had to move to a separate electrical outlet from my stereo/TV power strip. I was getting the occasional crackle that stopped when I moved the base station to its own power source.

For what it is worth, it is even easy to set up on a PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah, we use one at work exclusively for music & printing, it works great!

At home I run my internet connection, printer & speakers through it, hasn't let me down once yet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.