12" start up disc for 14" screen? + password prob? help!

E

elguapo

Hey all, So I am a complete computer ignorant, so please forgive any silly questions.

I have a couple of questions.

1. I bought a second hand ibook on ebay, it works great but it keeps asking for a password inorder to download any software updates? I have tried to find a way to reset the password but it wants the old one inorder start the proccess? I aint got it? don't know what to do? The guy I bought it from says he reset the password to nothing and this shouldn't be happening, but it is. Any suggetions?

2. My other option is to just reinstall everything and start from scratch. I don't have the original start up discs, but my roommate has a 12 inch G4 and has her start up discs. My Question is Can I safely use her start up discs for my 14 inch iBook?

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
1. You can't set the password to nothing, there has to be something there. So the seller is either lying or he just has no idea what the password is.

2. While you can't use your roomate's discs to install OS X on your machine, you should be able to use it to at least reset the password on yours to something you will know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.07GHz; 30GB HDD; 512MB RAM; OS 10.4; 32MB VRAM; Combo Drive
D3v1L80Y said:
1. You can't set the password to nothing, there has to be something there. So the seller is either lying or he just has no idea what the password is.

2. While you can't use your roomate's discs to install OS X on your machine, you should be able to use it to at least reset the password on yours to something you will know.

How come you can't use 12'' recovery discs on a 14''? Isn't it the same hardware/software?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
mattbokey said:
How come you can't use 12'' recovery discs on a 14''? Isn't it the same hardware/software?
Two reasons:

1. Recovery discs are designed to work with specific machines and will not always allow you to install them on a machine for which they were not intended.

2. Installing the OS from your roommate's discs is a direct violation of the EULA for the software and is illegal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.