• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

My Mbp Is Hot!

F

Footbal51

Its reading 84*C...and its TOO HOT TO even touch on the bottom...and its darn hot on the handpads...

its has the 2.17ghz processor (intel CoreDuo)

how can i get this thing to run cooler??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
put it on a cooling rack. (seriously, set it on something to let air get at its bottom)

OP
I

iRizzo

Take it to the Apple store. What does your serial number start with(W8611, W8612, etc.)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Laptops run hot... Mac laptops run especially hot and always have.
The laptop has an outer shell of aluminum which is going to conduct heat even more. Serial numbers have nothing to do with it, and taking it back to the Apple store will get you nowhere. Also, as long as the laptop hasn't shut down, then it isn't overheating and there is nothing wrong with it.
If you still feel uncomfortable with the heat, then I would suggest a cooling pad like was already suggested.
:black:

OP
I

iRizzo

What are you guys using to measure the heat of your computers? Is there a program I need to download or something?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
This sounds like a case of 'touch before you buy'.

All MBP's I've seen are that hot, NONE of them were confortable to touch for very long...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP
My MBP gets hot every now and then. For the most part it's pretty comfortable, every now and then it does get a little hot but I always attributed that to heavy work loads.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
What do most people's MBPs run at normally? My macbook (not pro) runs at about 56 degrees C, going up to 67-ish if I'm doing something quite demanding, and only hitting the high 70s if I'm doing loads of intense stuff.

OP
F

Footbal51

See I dont understand all i am doing is looking at the internet..NOTHING ELSE... I turned it on about 5 minutes ago and it read 38*C...now 5 minutes later and all i did was get on the internet and it is now 82*C...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Check Activity Monitor (in Applications -> Utilities) and order by CPU usage, descending. See if there is something eating up your CPU time. This is the usual reason for a mac to get hot. If so, let us know what it is and we can see what to do about it. If not, then take it for Apple to have a look at.

OP
F

Footbal51

what am i looking for it says Safari is using 343.66 MB then my AIM is using 56 MB...so what do i do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
Footbal51 said:
what am i looking for it says Safari is using 343.66 MB then my AIM is using 56 MB...so what do i do?

when he said order by cpu usage, he meant that you should check if anything is taking a large % of cpu resources.

Reaction score
my MBP gets very very hot as well. i have a Targus twin fan cooling pad whose energy source comes from the MPB. after i bought my MBP i was walking thru best buy and noticed they had the new 17" MBP. so i walked up to it, and felt the bottom (dont ask me why, for some reason i did) ANYWAY, i noticed it was cool, almost as if it wasnt even on...but i was, it was running like 5 programs at the time. but it had this targus pad, so there was no question about picking one up that day. i bought a few extras for my friends with aluminum housed mac's.

****, why doesnt apple make a Mac cooling pad, they would sell like hotcakes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.