Why is OSX so confusing to use??

Reaction score
coach_z said:
it is true that it does not install an icon into your dock because not everything belongs in your dock. i dont know how anyone ejoys having a program installed and then you can either a) go to your start menu to open it, b) go to your desktop to open it, c) go to your 'quick launch' menu to open it, or, d) go through your directory to find it and then double click it in order to open it. seems a lil redundant to me, do you agree???

It may be redundant, but things are always easy to find. You don't have to add shortcuts to your desktop, start menu, or quicklaunch if you do not want to. In fact, a lot of programs give you an option as to where put shortcuts when you install them. You are able to delete unwanted things from your start menu if you want, too. Just so we're clear ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Your mum could do a lot worse than using the Mac 101 lessons here: http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/

The 'Get me working and playing' tutorial should clear up all your installation woes.

zal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BackMac Book 2Ghz Duo-Core, iMac G3(running Os X)
is there even a way to put folders on the dock?

zal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BackMac Book 2Ghz Duo-Core, iMac G3(running Os X)
it won't allow me to

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You have to drag it to the part of the dock toward the right after the open programs but just before the trash icon. There is a Line on the Dock between those two areas, drop it to the right of the line but not in the Trash!!! :)

Picture 1.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
D3v1L80Y said:
Just drag the folder to the Dock.

to be more specific, you have to drag the folder to the right side of the dock, over near the trash can. if you drag a folder to the left side where the applications go it won't work. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
dtravis7 said:
You have to drag it to the part of the dock toward the right after the open programs but just before the trash icon. There is a Line on the Dock between those two areas, drop it to the right of the line but not in the Trash!!! :)

I was wondering if that was possible. Thanks :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
SilverEagle5 said:
It may be redundant, but things are always easy to find. You don't have to add shortcuts to your desktop, start menu, or quicklaunch if you do not want to. In fact, a lot of programs give you an option as to where put shortcuts when you install them. You are able to delete unwanted things from your start menu if you want, too. Just so we're clear ;)

yes i am clear and i do know that you can go through and delete everything that you just installed so that it is how you want it. even if you do select to not put it everywhere it is still going to end up in at least one place. and then the original poster is back to his original problem of having to search through his HD in order to find the program..

AND, i would like to state for the record that i was not windows bashing and several other people in the IRC chat agree with me that i was not windows bashing. i was explaining a accurate representation of the general installation process in windows and where it puts icons etc...now if i was to windows bash in this thread i would have included something like this: "put stuff everywhere so no matter where you click, something is bound to open"

have a great night
neg rep points will be given all around tonight
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Here's a radical idea. You say that you have used Linux for years. Why not get her up and running on Linux? It would run on her PC, and would be equally as virus, worm, etc. resistant as the Mac. If you use the KDE desktop, it has a fair amount of eye candy too and so is more pleasant looking environment to work in. PLUS, all your apps are FREE! You'd be more comfortable supporting her, and she would be safer in cyber space.

Now if that doesn't work for you and you REALLY want a Start Menu like thing, you can build one for her in Mac OS X. Just create a folder in her home directory called Start-Menu. Open it up and establish subfolders for things like Office Apps, Internet Apps, Graphics Apps and so on. Now go to your Applications folder and drag aliases for all her regularly used programs to the appropriate folder in your pseudo start menu. When you are done, just drag an alias of the Start-Menu folder to the right hand side of your dock, by the trash, and you are done. You could even change the icon to make it look more "Start'ish".

You have to do the configuration work, but once you set up the structure, it is simple to maintain. I have done a similar thing, but with a shareware app called Classic Menu, which sprouts the start menu type thing out of the Apple symbol on the upper left of your menu bar. If you've used Linux for any period of time (and I have), this kind of organized launcher is something you are used to. Happily, Mac OS X is so flexible, I have just showed you TWO ways to create one.

One last thought. Speaking out of the other side of my mouth, who needs lauchers and Start Menus anyway? Mac OS X gives you yet another easy way. Say I want to launch Firefox. Just click the Spotlight icon in the menu bar and type a few letters of the name. On my system, all it takes is "fir". Double click the firefox item that shows up and you are off! There you go, three ways now! ...and I am sure that there are many more!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200RPM HD
I can empathize with your Mom's pain. I bought my first Mac a little over a year ago. During the first few months I often felt frustrated, just like her, and I am a tech junkie!! The best advice has been said in many of the posts above:

You have to stop thinking windows and learn to think Mac.

Reminds me of the movie "Firefox" with Clint Eastwood. In order to get the plane to do what he wanted he had to think in RUSSIAN instead of English. Same thing here.

I doubt your Mom is going to read an OSX manual. Sounds like she does not have the time to study it. For her it is a tool vice a hobbie or a passion. However, I would recommend you make a cheat sheet for her. Two column page. First Column "Windows"; Second Column "Mac" in the Windows column you would delineate how to do a specific and often used operation in Windows; in the second column would be how to do the same operation on the Mac. Using this tool will help build her confidence and ease her frustration.

It took me a solid 6 months for my conversion to take effect. Now I get frustrated at work (PC) and I hit CMD+Space and Spotlight does not apper.

Good Luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.