Won't open .rtf file

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06
Friend scanned magazine page. Saved in Word as .rtf file and sent to me. PC opens it right up. When my iMac clicks on it what appears to be a Word window opens immediately but there's nothing in it. Blank page.

How to open .rtf file?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Rich Text Format should open right up in TextEdit.
You can also try to open in Preview.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06
.rtf does not open in TextEdit or in Preview. Both show blank screen. Screen looks like Word screen but there's nothing in it.

Only success via this method, just found: save the file, highlight it from saved location, click file, click "open with", choose Word and click on it. Then .rtf file opens right up.

OK, so I was able to get to it and read it by this roundabout method. However, this is kind of silly for a simple message that just came in attached to an e-mail. Surely there is an easier one-click method and I'm missing something?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
asolo said:
.rtf does not open in TextEdit or in Preview. Both show blank screen. Screen looks like Word screen but there's nothing in it.

Only success via this method, just found: save the file, highlight it from saved location, click file, click "open with", choose Word and click on it. Then .rtf file opens right up.

OK, so I was able to get to it and read it by this roundabout method. However, this is kind of silly for a simple message that just came in attached to an e-mail. Surely there is an easier one-click method and I'm missing something?
When you pull up the info window again, make sure you click the button "change all" where it says 'use this application to open all documents like this'

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
D3v1L80Y said:
When you pull up the info window again, make sure you click the button "change all" where it says 'use this application to open all documents like this'

I do not see "change all" or "use this application to open all documents like this" anywhere I'm looking. Sorry to be such a noob on you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
asolo said:
I do not see "change all" or "use this application to open all documents like this" anywhere I'm looking. Sorry to be such a noob on you.
Highlight the file and hit Command + I

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your good advice and patience in getting me to where I needed to go.

Works fine, now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.