NIC not being recognised by hubs

A

amcdonnell

hi all,

I'm new here and would appreciate any help you can give.

I've a dual usb ibook, G3 600, RAM 640 MB, running OS x.2.8

I've a problem connecting to my work DHCP network. Once I've plugged my ethernet cable (checked and verified) from ethernet port to hub- I get no uplink light on the hub. The hub is up and functional and tried in both the Xcable and normal ports.

I also run a network at home with other PC's and have no problems using DHCP. I hook straight into the hub and fire away.

Has anyone any ideas? Is this a hardware problem- please say neigh!

Alan

OP
A

amcdonnell

the machine can see itself with a loop back cable - this problem is software related?

I've set everything in Directory Access to default. and still no joy.

OP
L

lzasitko

check network settings

amcdonnell said:
the machine can see itself with a loop back cable - this problem is software related?

I've set everything in Directory Access to default. and still no joy.

Have you checked the network settings? Under TCP/IP it should be set to DHCP and nothing else should be filled in. I had on old PwerPC and it worked fine so long as the service provider had static ip addressing but I had nothing but problems when they changed to dynamic addressing. Since then I bought a iMac for the wife and I bought a iBook. They are hooked up to a router with another 4 PC's and I have not had any problems.

Larry Zasitko

OP
A

amcdonnell

yeah settings are all fine [Built In Ethernet] using DHCP. I'm after going and clean Installing OS x.1 :( to see if the problem is solved - but unfortunately I'm at home after today for rest of week-so can't check the problem in work. As usual the network runs fine at home. We have a PC sharing a dsl connection to another pc, a powerPC 6500 & my ibook via a 10MB hub. In work same problem no uplink light

I'm really beginning to think that the NIC is stuck in 10MB mode, or maybe even in X-over? not sure what cable I use at home, & can't access the hub, in a locked room. As far as Directory Setup goes- I had most services up, but as this is layer 3 I don't believe this to be the problem as a simple thing like an uplink light is layer 1/2.

Getting frustrated now!

OP
A

amcdonnell

still waiting on any advise over this - it seems certain that it's faulty hardware until an ifonfig tells me en0 is active - still no uplink light though

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Here is whaqt I know. If you are connected to a router, all you need is a straight through cable. Even if the ethernet card is 10baseT, is should work on a 10/100baseT router (which I believe most are). As for settings, if DHCP is turned on. You should be good to go.

The only problem I have started at with 10.2.3 and is still there for me with 10.2.6. I don't know about 10.2.8. When I power up my powerbook, which is hard wired to the network. it takes about 5 to 7 minutes before I am able to connect to the network (via DHCP). I have not tried a static IP address as of yet. If I have a solid connection and my powerbook goes to sleep, upon wake up I lose the connection and I have to wait that 5 to 7 minutes to connect again.

I have found that my wife iBook which is running 10.1.5 does not have that problem (one reason why I have not upgraded her yet).

I don't know if this is a problem in Panther (I plan to get it in the next week or so).

What you might try is setting a static IP address,. You can get the configuration parameters from your PC (i.e. the router gateway address, the static route, the netmask, etc.) using ipconfig /all

OP
A

amcdonnell

I remember that problem [When my NIC worked :eek:( ] I used to unplug the ibook on boot and insert it when the book was fully up, used to do the trick. I have tried leaving the ibook plugged into network for a decent amount of time to no avail.

I'm still thinking the no uplink light is root of problems - brining ibook to Apple Store on Friday.

Thanks,

Alan

OP
M

mikelee223

May I ask what kind of hub is it? and is your work network using DHCP? Are there anyother computers connected to this hub?

OP
A

amcdonnell

mikelee223 said:
May I ask what kind of hub is it? and is your work network using DHCP? Are there anyother computers connected to this hub?

I've tried several different hubs, all 10/100. 3com 24 port. Dynamode 8 port. Even tried a DSL router, aswell as hooking straight up to a PC NIC with X over and straight. All hubs and cables were verifed with other Linux/PCs working through them.

As I am now resigned to the fact that my NIC is dead, Is it replaceable without replacing the whole mother board? On account of it being an on board card.

Thanks for your help

Al

OP
A

amcdonnell

i went and got an airport card and am now succesfully hooked up. I regret to say that I think my inbuilt NIC is knackered.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.