Web Browser Recommendations.

F

Frank Zappa

My OS is Mac OS X 10.3.9 and I use Firefox mostly and Safari every now and then but I'm looking for another web browser to use besides those 2. Does anyone have any recommendations that I can try?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
The other obvious choices are Opera and Camino. Opera is pretty complete and quite interesting, Camino is reputed to be faster than Firefox, but is based on the same Gecko rendering engine. After casting about myself for some time, I have settled on Safari. Its hard to beat.

Reaction score
Safari
Firefox
Camino
Opera
Mozilla
Seamonky
Flock
SunriseBrowser
Amaya
Lynx
XBrowser
OmniWeb ($)
DeskBrowse ($)
Atlantis
Jazilla
Madfox
Grail
iBrowser
Netscape Navigator
Echo
IE (Old and Dead)
AOL ($)

Thats all I got off the top of my head.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
why do you need more browswers?
-Dweezil

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I use and prefer Safari most of the time. For the few sites where Safari has problems, I either use Camino or Opera. I have Firefox also when I am testing out HTML Code.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
What do you want in a browser? I would like to use Flock, but it doesn't have my favorite extension Tab Mix Plus... So I stick with Firefox until I can find a browser that does everything I need it to do.. which Firefox does.. it's just not as fast as some of the other browsers out there :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I'd also highly recommend using the search function. This topic has been discussed before many times and I'm sure you'll find valuable information.

Search is always the best place to start...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is an amazing list of browsers, haimson. Is there a single spot (a single post or otherwise) where they are quickly critiqued and ranked? Kind of like I did for Camino and Opera, but for the whole list? There might be some really interesting ones in there. What am I looking for? FAST startup time, FAST rendering. Safari is better than Firefox in the loading aspect, about the same (in my subjective opinion) in the rendering aspect. How about the rest of these?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Flock! I vote Flock! Especially if you're into the whole web 2.0 movement :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
Opera niner rules....download that

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac 1gb RAM 80gb HD, Superdrive, iPod video 30gb
I used to use Opera, I remember the first time I used it, it made me wanna eat cheesestrings and now I have a terrible addiction. I am now back with safari just cos it is very basic and simple for it does. All I wanna do with it is browse the internet and with tabbed browsing and a google search bit I'm happy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Core solo Mac mini 1.5GHz, Headless Powerbook G4 500MHz
haimson said:
Safari
Firefox
Camino
Opera
Mozilla
Seamonky
Flock
SunriseBrowser
Amaya
Lynx
XBrowser
OmniWeb ($)
DeskBrowse ($)
Atlantis
Jazilla
Madfox
Grail
iBrowser
Netscape Navigator
Echo
IE (Old and Dead)
AOL ($)

Thats all I got off the top of my head.
You for got SHIIRA!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, why do you like Flock? Why does Opera niner rule? ...and so on? How about a little bit more than just statements of opinion - can you help us out with the whys? Cheers.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
mac57 said:
OK, why do you like Flock? Why does Opera niner rule? ...and so on? How about a little bit more than just statements of opinion - can you help us out with the whys? Cheers.

I think you will find that a lot of the whys are personal preferences. I use Safari because it works very well and like the way it looks and works. There are just a few pages where it either will not work or has problems.

Opera is a nice browser overall and Opera 9 has built in Bit Torrent and IRC Chat even. I have used Opera for years off and on and really like it, but for everyday browsing find Safari to be more to my liking. I RARELY ever see any Pop Unders using Safari also where Firefox of late seems to get them a lot more than it used to. Safari is stable and easy to use and has a clean interface also. That is probably why I like it so much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I mentioned above that I like Flock, even though I do not use it.. I want to, because of the whole web 2.0 focus. It integrates a lot of the things that you need plugins for with Firefox. I like extendibility, I like a browser with the functionality that I need.. which is the reason why I do not use Safari.. It does browsing really really well.. and that's pretty much it :)

I have extensions installed for Firefox.. WebDeveloper extension, allows me to do a bunch of WebDeveloper stuff. I have MeasureIt installed so that I can measure elements on the webpage. I have weather in my status bar. I have stocks in my status bar. I have my adsense revenue in my status bar, I have Performancing installed so that I can access and write to my blog without actually logging in through the web interface to do so. I have EditCSS installed so that way I can do live updating to my CSS so that way I can tweak until I have it right and then copy my tweaks into the actual CSS file. I have Tab Mis Plus so that way if I accidentally closed a tab, I can unclose it. If my browser crashes or I quit it accidentally, I can open the last session. I like to be able to lock my tabs, to be able to move them around, to be able to do pretty much whatever I want with my tabs and not be limited. I have autofill installed so that way when I fill out forms I can have multiple profiles so that way I can enter contests for myself for my wife, for my grandma for whoever I have a profile for! I have delicious installed so that way I can manage my bookmarks online and allow my other computers access to those bookmarks. I have TargetAlert installed so that way I can view what each link I put my mouseover will do before I even click on it. I have Lynx Viewer installed so that way I can see what my websites will look like to those people with disabilities and have screen readers. I have JSView installed so that way I can view the CSS and JS files that a site uses so that way I can study a cool thing they did. Also themes.. I really like a nice clean theme.. I do not like to be limited in the way my browser looks.

Now Flock does all those things since I can use Firefox extensions.. plus it's faster, plus it has some of those things built in so that I do not need to have an extension for.

It has built in access to almost all photo sharing sites out there.

It has built in access to your blog.

It has built in access for online bookmarking.

It has built in Bit Torrent.

Built in RSS feeds

And a whole lot more.. it's an extremely nice browser for those people that are into online communities and some serious functionality in a browser. Again the only reason I do not use it yet is because Tab Mix Plus does not work on it and I really like the ability to be able to do whatever I want with my tabs and not be limited.

Practically none of that stuff that I like is in other browsers or some of it is, but not all of it. So I stick with Firefox and wish I was using Flock :)

Like dtravis7 said.. it's very very subjective, some people just want to browse websites and that's it.. if I was that way I would definitely use Safari. Opera is nice, but has problems in rendering and since Im a web developer.. I can't have that and since majority of people use IE then Firefox, then Safari.. I need to make sure my applications work on those browsers.. Flock uses the Firefox rendering engine.. so it's covered. It definitely depends on what you are going for... thus the reason why I asked :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.