How to boot from CD?

Reaction score
Im trying to install OSX onto a BW powermac G3. How do I get it to boot from cd, it doesnt have an OS on it right now. I tried holding c but that didnt work.

EDIT: ok i can boot from cd now, but the intstaller isnt seeing my hard drive. it sees it in the partitioner but when i have to select a destination for the install it only shows a cd rom drive. it wont let me partition it either because it says the partition is in use, which i dont understand

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 Macbook Pro i5 2.3 GHZ, 4GB, 10.10.4
If it can't find the hard drive then your hard drive is shot. Hit the power button and once the chime sounds, hold down the option button. This brings up the boot selector, and shows icons of bootable drives. If a hard drive icon doesn't show up, then your hard drive is shot.

Reaction score
You DID update the firmware right?

OP
G
Reaction score
Ok Im having another go at this, and I need help quickly. I am holding c but the screen just stays grey for a long time then boots into mac os9.1, and yes the osx cd is in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I know that technically you shouldn't have to, but I have heard that some B&W's still needing OS X to be installed on the first 8GB in order to work.
Try making a partition of 7.5 GB and then try to install OS X on it.

OP
G
Reaction score
D3v1L80Y said:
I know that technically you shouldn't have to, but I have heard that some B&W's still needing OS X to be installed on the first 8GB in order to work.
Try making a partition of 7.5 GB and then try to install OS X on it.
It has a 6gb drive in it. Im going to try it on a 20gb next, but it wont matter if i cant boot into the installer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.