need a car adapter...

C

chris041067

i have a new pb and plan on using it on the road...i was wondering if it would be better to buy an extra battery or some sort of car adapter for the cigarette lighter. I found 2 products on apple's website - could i get some advice on which might be the better way to go, or if there are any other options?

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...C1cLNVVg2N6FlVWF2EFkhFw/2.5.0.5.14.0.5.4.13.0

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...C1cLNVVg2N6FlVWF2EFkhFw/2.5.0.5.14.0.5.5.13.0

the car/air adapter is more expensive, are there more advantages to it? i dont fly much at all, so i dont really need the air adapter part of it.

would it be better to just buy an extra battery? i could get about 6 hours of battery life if i had that, and that should be enough to get me to a power outlet to charge up again. Im thinking i might be better off this way so i have more time, even when im not in a car. what do you think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I can't comment on the first link but I use the second one and it works perfect....almost like it came in the box with the powerbook. I have used that in the car and airplane and it just makes everything so easy for me. When I travel I bring my powerbook that charger, the powerbook charger and my iPod. On the plane I usually sleep listening to the iPod and if it actually needs to be charged I just plug it into my laptop and get the juice from there.

As for the battery/adapter thing I would probably go for the adapter. The battery is larger, more expensive, and with its weight it can bang stuff up in your bag. The charger I use is incredibly lightweight and takes up very little space

OP
C

chris041067

ok sorry the links dont work any more...but they are the 2 car adapters in the accessories section on the apple website.

still, whats your opinion on a battery vs car adapter?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
look at the second paragraph of my post there.

the links were working fine when i responded i guess the session just timed out

OP
C

chris041067

trpnmonkey41 said:
look at the second paragraph of my post there.

the links were working fine when i responded i guess the session just timed out

yes, i did see that second paragraph, thank you very much for the advice.
i guess what i meant to say is "does anyone else have an opinion on a battery vs car adapter"

thanks again
chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sorry bout that i thought the post was directed to me

OP
S

StarManta

Actually, A better option might be a power invertor, which would simply add an electrical outlet to your car. They're often much cheaper than Apple's car adapter thingies. I used one on a recent road trip in my friend's car, worked like a charm.

OP
C

chris041067

StarManta said:
Actually, A better option might be a power invertor, which would simply add an electrical outlet to your car. They're often much cheaper than Apple's car adapter thingies. I used one on a recent road trip in my friend's car, worked like a charm.

Yes, i was thinking of maybe going that way, but arent they fairly large and heavy?

also, for the apple car adapter, how long is the cord? Long enough to reach to the back seat of the car or an suv?

OP
S

StarManta

my friend's invertor is, but that's like a 200 or 400 W supply or something like that.... can't say how big the lesser powered ones are. (You really dont need a lot of wattage.)
second question: no idea. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.