G4 Imac 10.2.8 Superdrive wont read dvd's

L

loki.*

but it will burn dvd's through roxio toast 5. It will also recognise CD's, but when insert a commercial dvd or a dvd burnt on the unit is inserted a message reading "You have inserted a disk containing no volumes that Mac OS X can read. To continue with the disk inserted, click Ignore." I have done a verify and repair disk permissions, also a verify and repair disk, but this has not fixed anything.

The latest update to the system was upgrading to version 6.0.4 of Itunes, and as far as I am aware the drive was reading dvd's before this - I suppose - i can't say for sure but I think it was.

Is anyone aware of any issues like this and how I can fix the drive? Could it be that the drive needs a clean?

Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards

Loki.*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
I think the drives have different mechanisms for reading and writing both DVDs and CDs. My PC DVD drive suddenly would only deal with CDs and so I had to get a replacement. You might have to do the same.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.