• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Alternative to After Effects

M

magic_paul

I've just been informed that After Effects does not work properly with the new Intel Mac's yet, and that it will run very slow. Does anyone know of any good alternatives that will run properly on a new Intel Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
magic_paul said:
I've just been informed that After Effects does not work properly with the new Intel Mac's yet, and that it will run very slow. Does anyone know of any good alternatives that will run properly on a new Intel Mac?

There is no alternative to AE... this program was written by God and that's all there is to it. :black:

Apple Motion is decent for alot of the graphics and animation things you normally would use AE for... if you have a fast enough machine. Apple Shake is an unbelievable program for the compositing side if you don't mind the rough learning curve on it. I think Avid has a program they were trying to pit against AE but I don't believe it was for Mac.

Basically you're not going to replace AE... it's a staple of the industry. Whatever the problems are with the Intel Macs I'm sure they will be corrected as soon as possible.

OP
S

seinman

I've tried several of the "alternatives" to AE, but none of them actually are. Sadly, Intel Mac owners like myself are stuck dual booting to windows to use AE until the next version comes out. :(

OP
M

magic_paul

Devastated! :(

I've used combustion before which is rather good but I very much doubt that will run on an Intel Mac either.

Reaction score
magic_paul said:
Devastated! :(

I've used combustion before which is rather good but I very much doubt that will run on an Intel Mac either.

What about Quark? Apple just dropped the price down to 500 from 3000 or something :p

OP
M

magic_paul

snow_happy said:
What about Quark? Apple just dropped the price down to 500 from 3000 or something :p

Isn't Quark a desk top publishing package? :confused:

But not to worry...I just bought my Dad's old G5 and got AE up and running on that! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.