Has anyone found a reliable Firewire hub?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
I want to get a reliable Firewire hub, preferably with 6 ports. I've been reading reviews on various models, most of which have mixed reviews saying they fail with certain components, among other problems. Has anyone found a reliable model? I need to be able to connect a couple external Firewire hard drives, a Firewire DVD burner, an iSight, and occasionally a digital camcorder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
the real easy solution to that problem is the fact that Firewire drives can be daisy-chained. meaning you can connect them all through one firewire port.

so you can connect your first had drive to your computer via firewire, hook your second hard drive to your first hard drive and then hook your burner to the second drive. . now i believe that can only go for so long but if you have two ports on your computer you can hook a lot of firewire devices into one port

now try doing that on USB2.0!!!!!!
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I just read a review in MacWorld for the Nyko Desktop Multi Hub. See www.nyko.com for details. They seemed to like it quite well. It offers both USB and Firewire port replication, making it very useful.

Also, you can buy external diskdrives such as the NewerTechnology miniStack v2 that feature USB and Firewire port replication in the same package with a 250 GB or larger disk drive. Also quite useful!

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
coach_z said:
the real easy solution to that problem is the fact that Firewire drives can be daisy-chained. meaning you can connect them all through one firewire port.

so you can connect your first had drive to your computer via firewire, hook your second hard drive to your first hard drive and then hook your burner to the second drive. . now i believe that can only go for so long but if you have two ports on your computer you can hook a lot of firewire devices into one port

now try doing that on USB2.0!!!!!!
-chris

Yes, they can be daisy-chained, but for most devices the device has to actually be turned on for the daisy-chain to function (i.e. get any power). I have an external hard drive, external DVD burner, and MiniStack v2 and none of the second Firewire ports work with the devices turned off. That means that if I want to use use my DVD burner, I have to turn on my MiniStack. Or unplug it and plug it into the Mini. It stinks! That's why I want a hub :)

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
mac57 said:
I just read a review in MacWorld for the Nyko Desktop Multi Hub. See www.nyko.com for details. They seemed to like it quite well. It offers both USB and Firewire port replication, making it very useful.

Also, you can buy external diskdrives such as the NewerTechnology miniStack v2 that feature USB and Firewire port replication in the same package with a 250 GB or larger disk drive. Also quite useful!

Thanks for the link to Nyko! The MiniStack only functions if you turn the entire unit on. If you turn the entire unit on, the fan will kick in, plus I don't want access to the hard drive 24/7. I've found that I can eject the hard drive, but the fan still runs sometimes. Annoying :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
kaidomac said:
Thanks for the link to Nyko! The MiniStack only functions if you turn the entire unit on. If you turn the entire unit on, the fan will kick in, plus I don't want access to the hard drive 24/7. I've found that I can eject the hard drive, but the fan still runs sometimes. Annoying :p
Try unmounting the disk in DU.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.