Sharing Epson CX-5800F between Windows PC and Intel Based Mac...

Reaction score
Hi All,

I just purchased an Epson CX-5800F All-in-one printer. I hooked it up to my PC and shared it on my network. All of my PC's running XP can access it over the network and it works fine. I can't seem to get the Mac to print to it over the network. Even after installing the driver for the Intel Based Mac from Epson's website, the printer driver does not show on the list of printers when trying to add it.

I know it's a driver issue because I've tried a few other existing printer types on the list and it will print from the Mac, but with some strange results.

Anyone have any experience with this setup or suggestions that may help?

I think If I can get the appropriate driver to show up on the Mac's printer list, I can easily get it working.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
sbatson said:
Hi All,

I just purchased an Epson CX-5800F All-in-one printer. I hooked it up to my PC and shared it on my network. All of my PC's running XP can access it over the network and it works fine. I can't seem to get the Mac to print to it over the network. Even after installing the driver for the Intel Based Mac from Epson's website, the printer driver does not show on the list of printers when trying to add it.

I know it's a driver issue because I've tried a few other existing printer types on the list and it will print from the Mac, but with some strange results.

Anyone have any experience with this setup or suggestions that may help?

I think If I can get the appropriate driver to show up on the Mac's printer list, I can easily get it working.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

will it add in your printer list or isnt showing up on that?

OP
S
Reaction score
christm said:
will it add in your printer list or isnt showing up on that?

It's not showing up on the printer list even after installing the software and drivers. Since it's installed on the Windows PC and is shared, I can find it when I browse for network pritners, but I still need to be able to select the proper driver from the list on the Mac which isn't there.

So again, connectivity is fine, drivers are the issue. Unless someone has other suggestions before I can spend more time troubleshooting this, I'm going to see if I can connect it to the Mac Directory and get it printing and get the printer to show up on the list. Maybe once I do that, I can get it shared from the PC, otherwise I may be able to share it from the Mac and let all the PCs access it that way. I just need to get it working for both PCs and Mac.

OP
S
Reaction score
Just an update. I connected the printer to the Mac and it runs fine there too. So my only problem seems to be sharing it between the Mac and Windows regardless of where it's located. I've get an email support request into Epson, but my guess is that if I could get the appropriate Driver installed on Mac OS X and make the Epson Stylus CX5800F to show up on the printer list, that it would work just fine if I tried to connect to it as a Shared Resource from the windows system.

OP
S
Reaction score
Well after a few rounds with Epson, they have told me to contact Apple Support. I have not done that yet due to lack of time, but this doesn't give a good feeling. From what I'm seeing, Epson does NOT install the driver properly in the Mac OS and then they want you to go searching for it if it doesn't show up in the printer list. Then when you do that, it only works if the printer is on the Mac through a USB port. I suspect that Apple will likely point fingers back at Epson which in this case, they would have every right to do so.

Anyway, if someone else here comes up with with a solution, I'm all ears.

OP
S
Reaction score
Well I decided not to persue this with Apple as I'm convinced it's an Epson Driver install issue that they refuse to provide help with. Instead, I have purchased a USB A/B Switch which lets me connect the printer to my My Mac and my PC and swtich between the two. The added benefit is that I can use all of the features including the Scanner on either computer just be pressing a button. Another plus to this option is that if I have photo paper loaded in the printer and getting ready to print a photo, my wife or kids can't sent a map text to the printer and waste a sheet or two of photo paper.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
sbatson said:
Well after a few rounds with Epson, they have told me to contact Apple Support. I have not done that yet due to lack of time, but this doesn't give a good feeling. From what I'm seeing, Epson does NOT install the driver properly in the Mac OS and then they want you to go searching for it if it doesn't show up in the printer list. Then when you do that, it only works if the printer is on the Mac through a USB port. I suspect that Apple will likely point fingers back at Epson which in this case, they would have every right to do so.

Anyway, if someone else here comes up with with a solution, I'm all ears.

For a time I didn't have the correct driver for my Epson printer. If it is still a driver issue I would suggest looking for GIMP drivers to emulate the missing ones. Check here: http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/ Let us know if this helps.

OP
S
Reaction score
deus_ex_machina said:
For a time I didn't have the correct driver for my Epson printer. If it is still a driver issue I would suggest looking for GIMP drivers to emulate the missing ones. Check here: http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/ Let us know if this helps.

there are no gimp drivers for this printer, that's one of the first things I looked for. Again, either way it does not make a difference, for $29, I have a switch that lets me use it on my PC and My Mac, including the scanner so I'm happy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Have you tried sharing with the PCs when it's hooked up to the Mac? Did you enable Printer Sharing on the Mac? You may also want to try downloading Bonjour for Windows from Apple, it makes this whole issue MUCH simpler.

OP
S
Reaction score
baggss said:
Have you tried sharing with the PCs when it's hooked up to the Mac? Did you enable Printer Sharing on the Mac? You may also want to try downloading Bonjour for Windows from Apple, it makes this whole issue MUCH simpler.

Already tried that, can't share it with anything on the PC network. Again, it's a screwy driver from epson and they do NOT install it correctly, otherwise it would show up on the printer list. And as I mentioned in my last post, I have a switch that solves my problem. It's shared from my PC, but if I need to print from the Mac, I reach over and press a button...simple, cheap, effective and I can scan from either computer. Sharing would not allow that, so I'm done messing with it.

Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.