• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

downloading .dmg files problem

H

HiKuRaNgI

can anyone help? my powerbook doesnt seem to like downloading any .dmg files (widgets, bittorent set-up file etc) yet it'll download anything else i try to get off then net... is there something i'm missing here? i'm on a wireless network at home, but this has been a new development (last two months) I've had the wireless network for over two years!!

OP
K

komo

what app did you use to download those dmg files? safari or some download managers??
what kind of error message did you get when you failed to download those files?

OP
H

HiKuRaNgI

komo said:
what app did you use to download those dmg files? safari or some download managers??
what kind of error message did you get when you failed to download those files?

I'm using firefox and have been trying to download from apples site for widgets and from bit torrents site for their file. i dont use any other download managers. I dont get any error messages just a blank page with the bar down the bottom (right corner) showing progress as either nothing or half full. Last night i tried to get the bit torrent file and once i press "download now" it puts the right address in the wb browser bar but never gets any further than that. I've tried it time and time again on both apple's site for widgets a a few time last night from the torrent site

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
It sounds like you may have accidentally associated an action with .dmg files. To check, go to the Firefox menu -> preferences -> downloads -> view & edit actions. If there is an entry for 'DMG', '.dmg' or 'Disk Image' files, remove it. Next time you click a .dmg file you should get the normal 'save or open' download dialog.

OP
H

HiKuRaNgI

cazabam said:
It sounds like you may have accidentally associated an action with .dmg files. To check, go to the Firefox menu -> preferences -> downloads -> view & edit actions. If there is an entry for 'DMG', '.dmg' or 'Disk Image' files, remove it. Next time you click a .dmg file you should get the normal 'save or open' download dialog.
hmmm.. tried that. but it didnt work. although i just managed to download a widget from a site for icetv epg for australia. its all gone to s%$#... i'll get a mate of mine to sort it out soon ish. thanks for the help anyways :headphone

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.