The difference between iBook G3 and G4?

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm looking at a couple of iBooks on eBay Australia, and I would love to get a second opinion on a couple of machines.

Machine #1:
Apple iBook G3 12", 900mhz, 40GB, 256mb, DVD ROM/CD-RW
32MB VRAM/2 USB ports/Firewire port/Ethernet port/Built-in 56K modem

Machine #2:
The Apple G4 iBook 12", 800 MHz, 384MB of RAM, 30GBdrive, DVD/CD-RW

32MB VRAM/2 USB ports (USB 2.0)/Firewire port/Ethernet port/Built-in 56K modem.

I'm wanting to use my iBook for basic video editing on Final Cut Pro, nothing spectacular though, just something to take on the road and integrate with my home Mac. And...I don't care about the hard drive space, I'm only concerned with the speed of the machine.

So which is better? An 800MHz G4, or a 900MHz G3? What is the fundamental difference between the two processors?

And how much is the most I should pay for either? I think the prices are pretty good so far, but I'd like to know!

Cheers :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
The G4 processor includes an altivec vector procecessing engine, which is blazingly fast for tasks optimized for it and is required for some apps (iDVD, and I think apple's pro apps...).

So, yes - a slower G4 processor is often faster than a higher-clocked G3 processor, often quite substantially.

Also consider: The g3 iBooks only have USB 1.1., the G4's all have USB 2.0 (important for harddrives, iPods, TV-usb dongles etc.) and the G4 iBook can handle more memory.

Plus the white G3 iBook is infamous for being the least reliable apple computer in history: A lot of customers have had problems with the G3's logic board failing and apple's extended warranty program ended a while ago, so if you buy it now and it fails down the road, you can basically forget the machine.

I'd forget the G3, for the G4 I'd pay up to 500$, depending on condition of the machine. Also budget for a RAM upgrade - 348MB is too little, especially for FCP.

As a comparison:
I sold my 1Ghz iBook G4 with 768MB RAM, 80GB and internal bluetooth & airport for 650€ 2-3 weeks ago.
In europe used mac prices tend to be higher, so for the slower machine without the extras, I think 500$ is fair.

OP
C
Reaction score

I was wanting the G4 machine anyway, and I will bump it up to 768MB RAM. My home computer's running on 768 with Final Cut, + about 4 other programs at the same time, and never has problems. Will keep my eye out for a good deal, there are about 3 I'm serious about, so I'll keep watching those. The example I gave of the G4 is the slowest/smallest of the three.

Good Advice!
Cryssie :)

OP
C
Reaction score
Also, the iBook's don't come with a DVD Burner. Would you recommend an internal or external burner? Hmmm, they all have slot drives. Have I just answered my own question, by saying external?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I went with an external drive:
A few reasons: The external was cheaper, easier to install & it's faster.
I also never need to burn whilst on the go.

But you need to assess your own situation: Is burning on the go a requirement? Bear in mind that an internal solution requires a tricky installation and the drives are harder to come by (thus also more expensive). But you can find them...

I'd actually bump the RAM more than to 768MB. That's what I had in mine, and I found it a little limited at the end there...
Since you only have the one slot to expand with, I'd get 1GB now and save yourself an upgrade in a year or two... (the price difference isn't that much & whenever 10.5. rolls around, it's sure to require more RAM than tiger...)

OP
C
Reaction score
Hmmm, maybe I won't bother with the DVD drive. I don't need to burn on the go, and I can put stuff onto my iPod and transfer it to my home Mac, then burn. Cool, I think I'm sorting out my dream machine before I even get it!

Also, what size screen was the one you sold? There are a couple on eBay at 12" and a couple at 14". I'm thinking 14" would be a bit better for Final Cut. I'm thinking of more questions!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mine was a 12"... (The $ prices were in US though, no idea what 500$ is in A$)

The resolution is identical on the 12" & 14" models (1024x768), so you can't display more on the 14", it just displays the same content slightly larger, as each pixel is larger.

Again it all comes down to your personal preference: Would you prefer everything to appear larger onscreen? Or is portability more important?

As a student, the 12" model was a no-brainer: cheaper, lighter, smaller - I'm sold :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 Macbook Pro i5 2.3 GHZ, 4GB, 10.10.4
I second the above. I had a 14" and now have a12" iBook, and the max resolution on both is 1024x768. The 12" is much lighter and smaller than the 14 inch, in fact, I have a pic of both sitting next to each other.

mvc217f9vo.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 Macbook Pro i5 2.3 GHZ, 4GB, 10.10.4
Thanks. I kind of regret getting rid of the G4, but when I got it from a friend, the hard drive failed. Then before I got rid of it, the Combo Drive failed. So I got rid of it and got the G3. All I really use it for is internet, IM, and Photoshop and its all good. Eventually I want to get an Intel iMac so I can get rid of my PC and run games on the iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.07GHz; 30GB HDD; 512MB RAM; OS 10.4; 32MB VRAM; Combo Drive
I've been doing alot of research on the ibooks and 12" G4s are you best bet. The G4's take information in 128bit chuncks which makes it far superior to the G3 (how much info did it take at one time). Also, the 12'' G4s have a Combo drive (burns cds reads dvds) if that helps you out any? I have first hand experience using the 14'' and the 12'' ibooks and a much rather have the 12''. As said before, it is much lighter and feels alot better.

Also, never jump into something on ebay... wait and watch! Chances are (like myself), you will find a killer deal (G4 for $450US).
**NOTE: I am some what new to Macs, so if I stated something wrong please let me know!

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone, it's helped me out a lot! Still looking on eBay and I'm desperate to get one, so it's hard to wait and watch, but I'll do it!

I've also noticed something...just a little secret (maybe you already know though!)...I'm watching auctions that finish at times when people are travelling to work. I discovered this theory when I saw two identical 12" G4 iBooks being sold by the same person. One sold Sunday night for $950 Australian dollars (about $700 US?). The other sold 11 hours later at 8:05 am for $541 ($370 US?). Identical machines, same seller - $400 difference.

And yes, I'm kicking myself that I didn't wake up earlier to bid!

OP
C
Reaction score
I do love the 12", I'm a student too (I finish in November, hooray!). Portability is ridiculously important...I'll be travelling overseas next year, and I'll be travelling around in my Kombi van making films when I get back, so yeah, smaller is better! And robust is important too - to me the iBooks seem a lot more robust than the Powerbooks. I have a friend who has a 15" PB, and I'm too afraid to lift the screen up, because it feels so fragile and a bit too slim. iBooks seem to have thicker plastic covering them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.