Contemplating The Big Switch

Reaction score
Hi. I've been a PC/Windows user my whole life. I have a degree in Computer Science so I've basically been raised on pc's. Lately whenever I'm near an Apple store I find myself drawn inside. I love the look of the Mac's and MacBooks but I have no familiarity with them or their OS.
I'm considering a MacBook. Primarily it would be for personal/entertainment purposes. I have a laptop pc from my job so this would not be serving any business purchases. I might use it for some MS Office applications. However it would be mostly to access the 'net, and play around with some applications such as digital photo apps.
I guess I'm afraid to jump in the water. Are Mac's and their OS really easier to use then pc's and Windows? Do they have less bugs and updates?
Someone push me in the pool already, lol.

Reaction score
I was afraid too. Been a PC user all my life, and went from having Dell laptops and desktops, to finally building my own and watercooling it. Crazy.

Anyhow, I got a Powerbook G4 12" back in November and it has been an absolute joy to work with. It just does video and audio better than a PC. I've got plenty of programs on the PC for audio recording and video editing, but I find myself using the Powerbook for it, and my PC has become basically the gaming machine.

The ease of use is everything like you've heard, the programs that come standard with their computers are really top-notch. People say that the Macs are expensive, but when you consider the software in the iLife suite, the ease of use, the impressive operating system, and the aesthetics of the macines themselves, it more than makes up the price difference.

Take it from a PC ENTHUSIAST, you will NOT be sorry! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06
jte1130 said:
I guess I'm afraid to jump in the water. Are Mac's and their OS really easier to use then pc's and Windows? Do they have less bugs and updates?

Well, I just got here last week so take that into consideration. However, my answer to those questions would be yes and yes. I got the iMac. Previous PC was pentium4 3.4 which I still have on my desk side-by-side with new machine. IMac is faster and easier around the net. Faster and easier around the screen generally. Cold start up much faster. In and out of sleep much faster. Everything is just more comfortable in my noobie opinion. Thing just sits there and runs.

Since you have an Apple Store close, suggest burning a bunch of your files onto a CD and take it in and work with it on their machines. No need to believe anyone. You can find out yourself with your own data for free.

OP
J
Reaction score
Wow, thats good to know. I didn't realize they let you "test drive" the Macs in the stores with your own files.
One other thing I forgot to mention in my initial posting was regarding internet access. I currently have Verizon DSL. Are there any known issues with the online services and Macs, more specifically the MacBooks?

Also, other then these forums is there any other good reading material out there for someone looking to make the switch?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06
jte1130 said:
Wow, thats good to know. I didn't realize they let you "test drive" the Macs in the stores with your own files.

Well, I can't speak to all stores but I'll bet they're alike in this way. The one I go to has every single model on display and turned on all day long. The staff doesn't even turn them on and off. They're all on timers. That alone impressed the daylights out of me compared to computer stores I'm otherwise accustomed to. I could go in late in the day and feel each one to see whether they're hot or not. I could talk with various members of the staff at different times to see what kind of people they were. And, of course, I was able to see how Macs handled MY OWN files that I brought with me on a CD. The staff was glad to help me get started and glad to leave me alone when I wanted, also. Did this over about a four week period before buying. Got the machine, AppleCare, and ProCare. So far continue to be pleased with the machine and impressed with how I'm treated.

As I said, don't believe anyone. Go on in and try them out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I would recommend this too. However, a warning - after you take a test drive or two, you WILL be hooked.

Like you, I was a lifetime Windows users, who had gradually migrated to Linux just to get away from Bill Gates et al. Like you, I was always drawn into the local Apple Store every time I went by. Finally one day I decided to go in and take a serious test drive. I tried them all out, from the humblest mini to most exalted G5 (quad core 2.5). I was there for two+ hours, and spoke to several staff members along the way, including one fellow who was VERY knowledgable and stayed with me for about an hour of the time, just demo'ing things to me - no pressure, just gentle Mac OS X sales pitch. I was sold by the time it was over. The Apple Store staff seem to understand that the Mac sells itself if you just educate the customer, and that seems to be their approach.

I went home that day relieved that I had withstood the nearly overwhelming urge to buy right there on the spot. However, the impression WAS overwhelming in the very short term. I ordered a Power Mac G5 2.3 GHz dual core about three days later! It was the test drive that did it. At the time I just wanted to satisfy my curiousity, but in so doing, I was sold.

So, beware - once you dip your toes in the water, you WILL be plunging in head first shortly thereafter!

By the way, come on in, the waters fine! :)

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. I think this week I'll be stopping by the Soho store for a test drive.

OP
J
Reaction score
One other thing I forgot to mention. I have a min DV camcorder. I'd want to burn the video onto DVD. Is a Macbook a viable option? Does it come with software to do this? Should I have posted in the Macbook section? :confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
most cameras and the like all work seamlessly with apples

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
jte1130 said:
One other thing I forgot to mention. I have a min DV camcorder. I'd want to burn the video onto DVD. Is a Macbook a viable option? Does it come with software to do this? Should I have posted in the Macbook section? :confused:
The MacBook comes bundled with iMovie and iDVD which allow you to edit DV and then burn it onto a DVD. iMovie is really easy and works with nearly any mini DV camera as Graph. says, seamlessly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
jte1130 said:

I have a MiniDV camcorder and it is a breeze with the Mac. I switched around a month ago and i love it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.