Using Windows XP Upgrade edition with Boot Camp

Reaction score
Would this work if i copied the Windows 98 cd files to a USB pen drive? I don't have an external CD-ROM drive you see?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Windows 98 will not run on any Mac. Never will. XP Home or PRO.

Reaction score
Balls sorry i mis-wrote the post, i meant i've got an upgrade home CD (sp1) that i need to slipstream to SP2 in order to use it with bootcamp from what i can understand this would work.

But, it's an upgrade one, so i'd need to use a windows 98 cd in an external drive (following the instructions) to validate the upgrade eligibility. What i want to know is can i use a USB pen drive (with the 98 CD contents on it) rather than an external CD drive?

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Bossworld said:
Balls sorry i mis-wrote the post, i meant i've got an upgrade home CD (sp1) that i need to slipstream to SP2 in order to use it with bootcamp from what i can understand this would work.

But, it's an upgrade one, so i'd need to use a windows 98 cd in an external drive (following the instructions) to validate the upgrade eligibility. What i want to know is can i use a USB pen drive (with the 98 CD contents on it) rather than an external CD drive?

Replied to you via email. Nutshell: try it and see. I wouldn't get my hopes up, but it's worth a shot! Let us know how it goes :)

Reaction score
Have ordered a 512mb usb drive so will see if it works, couldn't justify spending £20 on an external drive enclosure i don't really need :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
dtravis7 said:
Windows 98 will not run on any Mac. Never will. XP Home or PRO.
Actually using parallels you can run DOS, Windows 3.1 and even Windows ME if you want ;)

But natively, Dtravis7 is correct: Boot camp only supports Windows XP Home/Pro with SP 2.

Excellent tutorial kaidomac!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Aptmunich said:
Actually using parallels you can run DOS, Windows 3.1 and even Windows ME if you want ;)

But natively, Dtravis7 is correct: Boot camp only supports Windows XP Home/Pro with SP 2.

Excellent tutorial kaidomac!

I did not even know Parallels would run all of that. I knew Virtual PC would. I had 98 and even ME on my Sawtooth for the fun of it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.