Upgraded from Jaguar to Panther

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G4 (Gigabit Ethernet) 400 MHz
For quite awhile i had been determind to stay with 10.2 Jaguar, as it able to preform all the things i use my Mac for. Up until last year with the release of 10.4 Tiger & Quicktime 7 i hadn't felt there was any reason to upgrade to anything past Jaguar. At first it was more the release of Quicktime 7 & it's system requirements then anything else that caused me to rethink staying with where i was. Then i started noticing more & more software requiring atleast 10.3 Panther. So this week i bought a retail version of Panther from a store that also sells older versions of Mac software.

One of the other reasons why i had stayed with Jaguar for so long was i had become used to how it looked, & how things were accomplished with it. I liked the pinstripes theme, Finder, & pretty much everything else. Jaguar was just really comfortable. After a few days of using Panther though, the changes are not as painful & uncomfortable as i thought they would be. The softer look of the theme Panther uses is nice, & Finder is alot more efficiant with Panther than with Jaguar. It will actually be fun to learn about the new ways things are done with Panther, & becoming comfortable all over again. I'm happy that i changed my mind & decided to upgrade to Panther after all. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 X 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon 2GB RAM Mac OS X 10.5
Had that same dilemma before. I used Jaguar (on my G4 MMD) for almost two years before I switched to Tiger. What I liked best about Jaguar was the speed (I started using Panther when I bought a Powerbook 12") with it handled (or so I thought at the time). Finally, after getting tired of not being able to use a lot of new software, I finally switched to Tiger. The transition wasn't as difficult as I imagined. I love Tiger, specially the Dashboard, hehe.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.