Mac For The In-Laws

Reaction score
So, I bought my mother and father in-law a digital camera to take pictures at festas (Portuguese fesitvals), and for Christmas (I know long way off) my wife and I were going to buy them a Mac to go along with the camera. They currently have a circa 1999 Compaq desktop that has seen better days and dial-up internet to boot. Along with the computer they will get high-speed internet (my sister-in-law is 11 and will be needing the internet more and dial-up doesn't cut it). My parents-in-law are from the Azores (islands near Portugal) and are simple people aho do not understand technology and my sisters-in-law are just like any other 11 and 21 year old, they know enough to get in trouble, but not enough to get out! LOL! So, long story longer, I figured a Mac would be good. They don't really know enough about Windows to miss it, they won't have to worry about security like Windows, and if there are easy to learn creativity programs out there iLife is it.

So, here's my question(s). One, is this a bad idea? Two, I was thinking Mac Mini, because I don't have 1200 or 1300 to devote to this and I wanted to get them something new since it will be Christmas. Will the mini be enough? They really aren't doing anything special.

Thanks so much for the help! I am a new Mac user (after many many years on PC) and love every part of it, especially the community aspect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Hehe, i misread that the first time round:

They really aren't anything special.

Back on topic: The mini should be fine for what they are doing, the single core version would probably suffice, the dual-core will have more oomph looking down the road though (those sisters-in-law might start using it more).

What kind of monitor do they currently have? If it's a CRT, I'd also consider budgeting for an LCD, if that's still feasible. It'll make it seem so much more like a "new" machine and really add that 'wow' factor - even if it's just a cheapo 17" flatpanel.

zal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BackMac Book 2Ghz Duo-Core, iMac G3(running Os X)
agreed, i would go with the duo core and a cheap 15-17 inch monitor

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!
or try a refurbished iMac

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.