Question on Spotlight Search

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 inch Intel iMac 2 gig ram :)
Hi all,

I am about to take delivery on a new 20 inch iMac tomorrow. My first Mac was a Mac Plus back in 1989 with one meg Ram and a 20 meg external hard drive that weighed about six pounds by itself. Sadly for work purposes I switched to windows and thankfully am now getting this new iMac.

The one thing I think I will miss is google's desktop search which has saved me so much time at both home and the office--saving IM chats, outlook emails, and even text from websites I have visited. Does spotlight come close to the features of google desktop search? Will it index ims and emails or web pages? Google was super quick too--how is the speed of spotlight?

Thanks in advance.

Leonardo

zal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BackMac Book 2Ghz Duo-Core, iMac G3(running Os X)
you'll LOVE spotlight, it can find anything on your machine and within seconds too. i'm pretty sure you can confirgure it (or maybe sherlock?) to run web searches as well. welcome back! i know i'm glad to be here

Reaction score
spotlight is just amazing. It's all over the system, nothing like Google Desktop, it's really tightly integrated into many apps and the finder.

For doing web searches, you can simply place a Google search widget in your dashboard, or any other search widget. There are some very fine ones out there.

If you use an IM that logs chats, spotlight will find those, too. Adium does a great job at logging chats.

Unforutnately, spotlight only indexes web sites if you bookmark them. But IF you bookmark them, it does a killer job on all the text in it.

zal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BackMac Book 2Ghz Duo-Core, iMac G3(running Os X)
^unless you use firefox

A

Alvin Meister

In Safari (Apple's web browser), there is a window in the top right permanently where you can type a word to search in Google.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.