What router to get

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm getting my Macbook (1.83GHz) next week and wanted to set up a wireless network at home before it arrived. I've got one computer that has a broadband connection. There's no DSL modem, its a line from the wall socket straight into the computer into something that was put into one of the PCI slots, I think its called an ethernet line?
All I need is a wireless router to set up the wireless network, right? I'm planning on using the Macbook for Bit torrent, transferring large files like videos to/from the macbook to my current desktop, so what router i.e brands, models, would you recommend? Is the Linksys 54G good, or will it be too slow for what I need? Also my laptop is going to be upstairs, and the main computer downstairs, so I need to make sure the range is good enough.

Thx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Some people hate it, but I have the Linksys WRT54G and it is great. It's easy to set up, fast enough, the web based bit doesn't require Internet Explorer (a rarity on cheap routers these days) and supports all the latest security options. Seems fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
I have WRT54G at home - works like a charm. Haven't had a single problem since I bought it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
Have the wrt54g, its pretty good...

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks, I saw that router at the shop I went to. What sort of things do you guys use your wireless connection for, do you use it for Bit Torrent and downloading big files? How do you find the speeds? Just want to see if the WRT54G is good enough for those sort of things i.e bit torrent, etc..
Thx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
forza1 said:
Thanks, I saw that router at the shop I went to. What sort of things do you guys use your wireless connection for, do you use it for Bit Torrent and downloading big files? How do you find the speeds? Just want to see if the WRT54G is good enough for those sort of things i.e bit torrent, etc..
Thx
Wow your all over that bittorent aren't ya. I don't really like the 54G, but it has redeeming qualities. I believe you can put some 3rd party firmware on it so I guess thats a bonus. I think you can even buy replacement antenna for better range. The setup seems clumsy IMHO. I like my old netgear now if only they could merge the two.

Oh to answer your original question yes it's called ethernet and yes all you need is a wireless router. Since you plan on doing some torrenting you might eanna take a trip to PortForward.

OP
F
Reaction score
Haha yeah I love my bit torrent, thanks for the help, looks like I'll go with one of the Linksys routers that support 802.11g.

Cheers

H

helduck

Trouble Setting up Router

hi there, friend of mine got me a linksys wrt54g ver 5.0 as a housewarming present. was wondering if someone could point me to a walkthrough as to how to set this up with an imac g4 1gh 256mbram. the installation disc it comes with is only good for PC use. i have a pc but have been stumped at frustrated at every turn as to how to get it to work. should be simple and straightforward but i'm just not getting it. just wanted to set up a wireless connection access point for my new powerbook g4. help please?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
helduck, you might get more help if you post your question as a new thread. That being said, if you configure the router through the web interface, the imac should just pick it up in the 'internet connection' screen when you select the airport tab. I didn't need any installation disk for the mac setup - it just picked it up.

If you need more information on how to configure the router itself, I would recommend looking to linksys, and also get a grounding in what the various terms mean at a wifi tutorial. The router's configuration is pretty straight forward once you know what the options mean :)

H

helduck

thanks cazabam, i'll go ahead and do what you suggested. theoretically it should be easier to setup on my imac than on my pc since i only have one or the other on at a time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
If all else fails call your ISP. If you have a cable modem, they don't like new MAC addresses, so your probably gonna have to reset it before the router will work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.