MAC User Opinions??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2GHz Intel Quad-Core i7 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM Mac OS X Snow Leopard v10.6.6
Alright, I'm new to the forum and have contemplated switching over to the MAC platform for some time. I've used various Windows platforms since it's inception, but I'm really getting tired of all the lockups, updates, pop-ups and overall Microsoft clutter! I've been reading around in here for a few weeks now, as well as other resources on the web. I'm looking at the new MacBook Pro laptop, but was wondering what users had to say about it in comparison to the PowerBook G4? Most of my use will consist of digital photography, video editing, iTunes usage, and Internet/E-mail. I'd also like to get into Podcasting...

All in all, from the hardcore MAC users...would I be better purchasing a slightly used PowerBook with the PowerPC processor, or go right to the Intel Duo based MacBook Pro?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
sounds like your overall situation is going to depend on how much $$$ you got. the macbook pro will kick butt on all of those thigns y ou mentioned although big video renders will take a bit longer but oh well....while you are doing it you go cook dinner, go to the bathroom and then take the dog for a walk if you have to. no one says you gotta sit there and watch the progress bar move across the screen.

the powerbook g4 will also do all of the above very well but video rendering will take slightly longer on it than on the MBP. it all depends on what kind of video you are going to be doing and how 'intense' it is ACTUALLY going to be, not what you think it is going to be.

so long story short, if you have the money for the MBP i would get that.
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Either one of those would be a fine machine.
Personally, I would go with a PowerBook G4.
Sure, MacBook Pro/Intel is the future of Mac and all... but it is still in its infancy. Not all of your apps are going to be universal yet, and their projected timeframes for such are still in the future.
A G4 is not going to be a dinosaur anytime soon and it is a proven, tested workhorse that will get the job done so to speak.
I got my PowerBook in January of this year, knowing full well that the MacBook Pros would be out in less than a month, for the very same reason.
A PowerBook G4 would be a good choice and would still serve you well for years to come.
:black:

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2GHz Intel Quad-Core i7 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM Mac OS X Snow Leopard v10.6.6
Thanks for the advice guys! :) In regards to the video editing, it's not going to be anything advanced or large scale...more along the lines of home vacation trips here and there.

I see that Apple is offering a refurbished PowerBook G4 15" 1.67GHz / 512MB for $1,349.00. However, I'm seeing a new MacBook Pro selling for $1,644.00 after rebates. Is there that much of a difference in the performance of the Intel Duo versus the PowerPC processor? It doesn't seem that much more to go to a brand new machine. I have read on here about the heat and application issues with the Intel platform, but is it that common?

Like I said...I'm new to the MAC world! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive
If you want something dependable and yet fast enough for your needs, get the Macbook Pro. If you want to be on the cutting edge and say that you have a dual core processor, go right ahead. People having been using the Powerbook G4 for the needs you mentioned for years, and it's worked extremely well. As you've been cruising forums you must have noticed a lot of early adopter problems in the Macbook Pro and those simply are not in the Powerbook. Then again, neither is the Intel Core Duo.

For me, if I needed a new powerbook right now, I'd get a used 15'' PB. If I didn't need it immediately, I would wait until the next release of the Macbook Pro, kinks are sure to be smoothed out and maybe we'll see a significant increase in clockspeed.

That being said, I'm happy with my brand new Macbook :)

zal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BackMac Book 2Ghz Duo-Core, iMac G3(running Os X)
mac books are fast! faster than aall of my friends g4's, i'd say go with the MBP especially if you're just going to be using iMovie for video

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now that I think of it, maybe the Macbook would be a good choice for you, unless you really need that extra screen real estate

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
If you are running native applications on the macbook pro, it is super fast. The powerpc is still pretty fast, but nothing close to the intel, if you are running native applications on the intel machine. By navtive, I mean programs written for the intel chip, nothing that has to be emulated.

I think the macbook pros do have their problems, but I dont think it is as widespread as it seems. This is a forum so there are going to be a lot more problems then the usual. A G4 will be an awesome machine and I dont think you will regret getting it, but if you want the macbook pro, I say go for it. If you do have problems with it, Apple will fix it so there isnt much to worry about.

Reaction score
The only warning I can give you is, that once you purchase either a Powerbook or a MacBookPro, you will want more. They call it AppleCrack for a reason. It's addicting. I've got a Powerbook G4 12" and now I want a Powermac, or the new Intel version when it comes out. I have a home-built PC as well, and I think that once the new intel PowerMacs come out (MacPro), I will get one and dual-boot it with my Windows stuff, and sell off the PC entirely.

I also love the 20" iMac, but I can't justify getting one right now since I've got the PB and a PC with two 19" LCD's.

Whichever route you go, I am sure you will enjoy it. MBP will probably be alot quicker in the video rendering dept. as was already stated, but if you can occupy yourself during the longer rendering times of a PB, then that can be mitigated.

Reaction score
I'd go for the Intel Mac. The G4s are yesterday's technology, though that may be somewhat obscured by the as-yet incomplete switch to the Intel chip in the towers and incomplete switch by some applications.

Too soon after the switch is complete, G4-powered machines will be marginalized — in the same boat as machines that can run Mac OS 9 only. No one, except, perhaps, iCab's developer, keeps OS 9 apps current. With that happening to the G4s and G5s, you'll be stuck with the wrong apps, such as Photoshop, and have to make another wholesale switch when it is less likely (because the pressure will be off) that any MacIntel apps will have universal code.

Down the road, a MacBook/MacBook Pro would be easier to sell or trade in, too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep. Good G4s are going on Ebay for rock bottom prices right now. For me, though, thinkgs like that don't really matter. I keep my computers forever :). I just hope that I'll have enough to get a 20'' iMac when I go to college--or another laptop. I know I'll be keeping this Macbook for a long time.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright guys...I think next week I'm headin' to the local Apple store to check out the MacBook Pros. More then likely I'll end up getting that 15" one...I'm just really getting sick and tired of the MS propaganda and problems!

I really never paid attention to devices being MAC compliant, but I've researched all of mine and so far there doesn't appear to be any incompatibilities. I've worked on many different OSes, but never really really paid a whole lot of attention to the MAC OS...I never knew it was based on UNIX!

Thanks for all the suggestions and input guys...I'll be sticking around here and will keep you all posted!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem. Just to add, many of my devices weren't listed as working on Macs, but they did, so give them a shot anyway. I guess the company just didn't want to support Mac problems? You'll enjoy it, and going to the Apple Store to check them out first is a good idea, too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
A powerbook g4 6 months ago had a life of "up-to-date use" set at around 3 years. But after the MacBook pro were released its life was just cut in half. Its alright right now, however in a year your going to want more speed. Wait until after the WWDC in august before you buy a macbook, and dont forget about the refurbys.

Macbook pros are really quick machines, more noticeable than the jump from G4 to G5 towers, I am sure you will be happy with either a macbook pro, or macbook.. both are very good options.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm going to say this simply. If I had to buy a laptop now with an Intel Core Duo I would buy the Macbook. The Macbook and Macbook Pro are too similar in specifications. If I had the chance of waiting and didn't need a Mac immediately, I will wait until Apple furthers the gap between the Macbook and the Macbook Pro by upgrading the Macbook Pro. I think that will happen around WWDC, too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I am going to add my customary caution about Intel Macs at this moment. If you are planning on doing any signficant amount of work in Photoshop, you NEED one of the remaining PPC based Macs - only the Power Mac G5s are left in this class. Of course for less expense you can pick up a used iMac G5 for example.

Photoshop will not come out in Universal Binary until sometime early next year. That means that it has to be emulated on the Intel machines using Rosetta. This is much slower than native on the G5 processor. Photoshop is already a CPU and resource hog. If you plan on making regular use of it, don't even consider an Intel Mac at this point.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.