Removing "system bar" and making a clear desktop?

L

Logan

This is a weird one I bet, but I'm curious if it's possible.

Basically I Love the look and feel on OS X, but I'd love to just have a desktop when nothing is open. (Not like Dashboard or anything)

Here's what i want:

Docking bar invisible (Easy enough with that one mod program, just remove all docked items and make Finder not appear some how?)

System bar (top of window) autohide? or make it invisible? If it would appear only when I move the mouse to the top of the window OR alternatively, only when an application has focus... That would be awesome! Not sure if an app supports this

Hard drive invisible on desktop (I think if I rename it to ".Name" (period before the name) this works?)

Anyways, this all may sound weird but it'd be really cool to just have a desktop.. then use a shortcut or move the mouse to key locations to open up the various OS items.

Kind of like using Blackbox for XFree86

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
To prevent the harddrive from showing up, just go to Finder preferences and uncheck the 'harddrives' box.
The dock you could just hide (command+option+d).
The menu bar I fear will be the hardest to get rid of...

Maybe there's a shapeshifter theme to make it transparent...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.