What aftermarket memory are you using in your MBP?

Reaction score
I have tried a couple different brands, Corsair and AData, both have caused random restart on my MacBook Pro. I don't know if I have just been really unlucky and received a couple bad sticks or if the MBPs are kind of picky when it comes to what memory they will take.

My MacBook Pro had never had random restart problems until I put the memory in, and now that I took it out, it is fine...

Anyone have some that works well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
im using kingston sticks in my dual 2.7 G5

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
There are some memory suppliers (i.e. resellers) that garauntee that their memory is up to mac spec and tested as mac compatible. www.macsales.com and www.transintl.com come to mind, but there are probably others. they tend to be slightly more expensive than say newegg and the like, but they will always accept a return for non-mac compatible ram.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!
I'm curious...once you've physically installed the ram, is there any way to check that it works fine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
what you can do is go to 'about this mac' in the apple dropdown and it will tell you how much ram you have, and then you can go further and go into 'more info' and then it will tell you a lot about what is going on in the 'memory' option.

also if you dont have good ram you will most likely have kernel panics left and right

the hardware test cd might be able to tell you info about the actual ram slots, but i dont know about the actual stick of ram
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
ShillAT said:
I'm curious...once you've physically installed the ram, is there any way to check that it works fine?

Yes, using Rember. Run it overnight and if you get zero errors you can be pretty confident it's good ram.

http://www.kelleycomputing.net:16080/rember/

As far as ram goes, my brother is using G.Skill with good success. Here is a list of compatible memory:

http://www.wiredbynature.org/comp/mac/macbook/mods.php#Ram

The G.Skill is actually the cheapest right now; it's on sale for $75 per stick. Very hot deal!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!
cool....now all I have to do is get applecare so that i don't have to rely on the warranty

Reaction score
I purchased Trancend memory - JetRam from Memory X. Good price, but I've had to send it back because every application was crashing. I first thought it was the OS, so I reinstalled. Problem with the memory because the OS would not install. I found on the the MAC website that if the memory was replaced with 3rd party memory to reinstall the OEM memory. I did and everything works fine. I'm currently waiting for my replacement, if that fails it will be time for a refund. Also Memory X advertises 100% compatabilty with Macbooks, so we'll see... If not I'll be spending a little more to get working memory.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.