• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

music / movies ?

L

laught0omuch

hi everyone. Couple of questions. I really dunno about p2p downloading...i just hear it being illegal but then i hear its ok to dl just not to share then i get confused like..share how ? how do they know you are sharing or just downloading. I duno..its all confusing to me. I want to use itunes but it is a bit expensive for me. .99 seems like alot to me for some reason. I rather pay a montly fee and dl as much as i want. Is there such a thing ? if there is can someone tell me a site i can go to ?If not i might have to stick with itunes. Another question...does anyone know a place where i can download movies ? The only site i know of is movielink and they dont allow mac users. WHY IS THAT ANYWAYS ? well...if someone can help me out id really appreciate it. THANKS A BUNCH

OP
F

Fomer

www.suprnova.org

Every movie, every song, every tv show, everything. (well not really.... but almost!)

This is 100% uncatchable by that wicked RIAA.

Versiontracker.com - Download Bittorrent go to suprnova download the file the open up like an Ichat incoming file.

OP
L

laught0omuch

is it p2p ? Im not worried about being caught. I just dont want to do it if its wrong. But then again im a little confused about whats wrong and right about all this file sharing stuff. Another thing now that im on the subject of filesharing...do macs get alot of viruses ? should i get a anti virus thing ? thanks for your reply though

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
downloading anything that was broadcasted in anyway is pretty much illegal.

any song, tv show, movie, program is illegal
if its a band that releases free songs on the web then its fine or if its a home-made movie its fine but just about anything you would download is illegal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
im not quite sure where the line is drawn on music. because, if a song is broadcasted on a radio station and you record it on a tape, the RIAA wont come knocking at your door. But if you download that same song, they'll be able to sue you?

the safest bet you have is, it's ok to download it, if you already own it. Say you bought a Beatles record, and want it on your computer. I see no harm in downloading that record in mp3 or aac format, since you already paid for the music. not sure if thats how the law is written, but i figure you'll be safe if the RIAA comes knocking on your door with a lawsuit. i feel the same about movies. if you own the VHS, and download the divx version so you can have a better copy, i see no harm. although it might be illegal, so dont take my word as a legal standing.

OP
M

mattk

like they said, if u dont pay for it, but it usually costs something... its illegal.
I will say your the first person i've seen who doesnt wanna "do it if its wrong" :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is from a conversation i was having on another board with an student studying computer related law. My question before what i have quoted was whether I could download an album that I had already preordered

Taken fromw www.nancies.org discussion on copy protection
Originally posted by trpnmonkey41
thank you for the direct answer but could you explain a bit why that isn't legal. morally that seems fine because you have already paid but the legal part.

Originally posted by SweetNecter
Its not legal because the copy you have ordered has specific worth (whatever you paid for it.) You are buying a copy of the music. You are technically buying a license which allows you to posses and listen to the music under certain circumstances. So in essence you dont even own the music. You own a license, pieces of plastic and paper (but not what is printed on those pieces of plastic and paper.)

So when if you were to download a separate copy, other than the one you own, of Some Devil... technically you are not licensed to that copy. You cannot posses it or perhaps even listen to it (depending on the specific situation.) That is the whole purpose of copyrights, so that the owner can control the copy.

So, in other words if you want two seperate copies of some music... you would have to pay for them.

OP
L

laught0omuch

hm..well ty that clears up alot for me. =D

Well now does anyone know of any sites besides itunes where you can dl music cheaper ? or movies i can pay for ?

Thanks again !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think there are any sites that you can pay to download movies for. I am not sure if there are any other places to pay to download music either on macs. I am pretty sure that all the windows based music stores at 99 cents a song as well

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.