some questions for a newbie

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am getting a new imac 17inch in a few weeks. I have done alot of research and can't wait to escape the **** of PC life! I have a few questions though. What is this jabber program i keep hearing about? and can ichat connect to yahoo messenger to webcam with friends?

Also, i use yahoo email and will want to use the mail program that tiger comes with. Will I have to pay for yahoo pro to do this?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
iChat will connect with AIM. I don't think it will do Yahoo. And beware, iChat only supports Firewire cameras, which pretty much excludes every webcam out there, and leaves you having to buy a $150 iSight camera if you don't have a built in one. You will of course, since you are getting a new iMac, so no worries on that score.

Re Yahoo mail, how do you use it now? If you use the web interface today, you can keep using it that way on the Mac. If you access it via POP/SMTP today, you can do the same with Mail (the built in email client). Bottom line: whatever you are doing today you will be able to replicate on the Mac. There are lots of other good email clients as well, such as Thunderbird, that you can run on the Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
iChat will NOT connect to Yahoo Messenger. You can however just download the Yahoo Messenger for Mac and do the video that way.
If you are getting the iMac, then you have no worries as the iSight works with Yahoo and iChat.

Regarding your mail, yes for Yahoo email you will have to pay for POP3 access to download it to an email client like Mail. I would suggest using Gmail as it is also free, has better spam protection than Yahoo, AND you can use it with Mail and not pay anything.

L

Logan

I use Adium for my chatting needs (ICQ/AIM/Yahoo/MSN), however my Logitech "QuickCam IM" series webcam won't work on my Mac Mini at this time. I haven't really delved deeper into the topic, but hopefully you for adium useful if nothing else!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Anything has to be better than Yahoo's IM client for Mac. Compare it to the client they do for Windows. Clearly all their money and effort goes into the Windows client. The Mac client looks identical to the Linux client, which I have always found so bad that I used Gaim and/or Kopete (Linux multi IM clients, rather like Adium in capability set, but for Linux) when I was running Linux full time.

Thanks for the note - I will try out Adium. For now, I have been using MSN Messenger. It is sad to say, but Microsoft has "out Mac'd" Yahoo in coming up with a nice and reasonably well integrated Mac IM client.

Reaction score
I would just Adium, its like trillian for pc. So you won't have to download if some of your friends have msn and others have yahoo.

Adium solves the problems as Logan said.

OP
L
Reaction score
thanks for the answers. How do I go about getting Gmail? at the website it says that u have to be invited to get an account.

Reaction score
LaurenSmitty said:
thanks for the answers. How do I go about getting Gmail? at the website it says that u have to be invited to get an account.

Yes, you have to be invited. You can't get it like you can get a yahoo account or hotmail account.

zal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BackMac Book 2Ghz Duo-Core, iMac G3(running Os X)
^wow i got mine with my cell phone

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.